Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever brined a pork shoulder?

Having brined 2 Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has ever brined a boston butt?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I did once but only once and won't do it again. It gave the meat a funky ham like - but not ham taste - I threw it out after tasting it when I started pulling it. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. I know that most things cooked on the egg retain alot of moisture. I had great results on the turkeys and wondered if it would do the same on a butt
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have been brining poultry for years with consistent good results, but like I said brining a butt just left the taste somewhere between a ham and pulled pork and it wasn't pleasant to me anyway and I didn't think it could even be salvaged so into the trash it went!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273

There really isn't any need to brine something with that much fat unless like RRP mentioned happened to his pork you are trying to change the product. 

• That would be a waste of a good brine and wonderful cut of pork. Don't do it.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • yes. and i see no need for me to ever do again
    Boom
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I did it once and won't do again. Only brine lean poultry, pork loin, pork chops. No need to brine fattier cuts.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Yes, but then I would also do an injection that uses white sugar, fresh apple cider (or apple juice when cider is out-of-season) and some of the rub and a bit of worchestershire sauce.  This takes away the "hammy" flavor and it is still very good.  Won a throw-down with this method. 

I also like just cooking with nothing butt the rub as well. depends on the results I am looking for...