Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Stall Question

Options
I put two 8 lb butts on last night at 10:30 EST. They've been on for 13 hours now and they have been stalled at 147 degrees since before the sun rose this morning. This is the longest stall I've ever experienced, and it seems a little lower temp than normal. Stalls generally happen around 160, in my experience. I'm trying to get the heat up on the Egg to push it through. Anyone ever experienced a stall this low or long before?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I've had them stall as low as 145 and as high as 192.  Depends on the piece you are cooking.  I usually allow an extra 4 hours from what time I think it should be done for extra long stalls and if it cooks quicker, I just foil, towel, and cooler it until ready to eat.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I have had stalls go 4 hours before and have had one around 150 so that's close to yours. BTW I have also eggperienced a second stall around 185 which was weird, but I recall it was very tasty, but just took longer to get done. Personally I think you'll be OK.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I accounted for 2 hours/lb and that might not be long enough. I really need to leave here in 2.5-3 hours. There's no way they'll get from 147 to 195 in under 3 hours, will they?
    Athens, GA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    It is possible, but if you have to leave, foil, towel, and cooler then put in the oven wherever you are going to finish it off.  If you have a maverick, take it with you and use the probe to watch it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

What is your temp at on the egg? 

• Mayberry
    Options
    I now have the grate temp up to 250, dome temp up to 300. It was steady at 225-250 dome temp until about 30 minutes ago
    Athens, GA
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'd wrap them in foil and get your grate temp up to about 350.  It'll be close, but you could make it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Mine is stalled at 191 right now and has been for about 2 hours.  It actually went down a degree it was at 192 for a while.  I am in no hurry though so im going to let it ride!  The plan is to eat for dinner so no reason to speed it up.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    busmania said:
    Mine is stalled at 191 right now and has been for about 2 hours.  It actually went down a degree it was at 192 for a while.  I am in no hurry though so im going to let it ride!  The plan is to eat for dinner so no reason to speed it up.
    Actualy, now it is down to 190.  Should I be concerned the temp is dropping?  Grate temp is 233.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @busmania-not the normal behavior but not unusual either.  I get the dreaded second stall in the low 190's about 25% of the time I cook butts.  As RRP mentions above, it will turn out great, just messes with timing the cook once you think you are clear of the "first" stall.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    16.5 hours in and still at 180 internal temp. WTH? Dome temp has been at 325 for the past few hours and still just creeping along.
    Athens, GA
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    @Mayberry where are you located?
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Just outside Athens, Ga
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Over 60 degrees outside, so cold temp isn't an issue. This has me confused.
    Athens, GA
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    37% humidity there, which is relatively low.  Could be a combination of a particularly moist butt (especially if it was in a brine solution, whether at home of from the store), combined with low humidity aiding in the evaporative cooling keeping the butt stalling at a low temp for a long period of time. 

I'm a tech guy though, maybe someone with a better working knowledge of the physics would have a better explanation.
    Pentwater, MI