Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice - shredded pork butt

Options
cvarsek
cvarsek Posts: 3
All, 
   Need some advice.  I'm a first time LBGE owner, and was asked to do two 7lb pork butts for a family party.  This is my first "real" cook on it.

Halfway through cooking, we got a call that our family party was moved back one day.  I am finishing cooking now.  My thought is to shred today, and then throw it in a crock pot with some Famous Dave's tomorrow before the party.  Seems kind of a shame to do it this way, but not sure what else to do.  T

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think your instincts are right here in terms of shredding today, but someone here will have run into this conundrum before and have better insight.  Don't fret too much over this - I can almost guarantee it will still be incredible.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    That's probably the way to go.  It will be harder to warm up whole tomorrow.  Don't worry about the taste.  Pulled pork is very resilient, and reheats well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Either food saver it in lb bags and warm up...probably just warm slowly in oven. Personally, I wouldn't crockpot.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Shred it now.  I heat in pan with a cup of apple juice or cider covered in foil.  250 for 20mins or so and you'll be golden.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Billy Grill Eggster Posts: 404
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You can shred today and enjoy tomorrow, just plan on putting the "cold" pork in several hours before serving time.
    Crock pot ( make sure it can hold the two butts ) with your choice of BBQ Sauce and add a little Coca-Cola for moisture and sweetness. Make sure the Coke isn't diet.
    What time we sitting down for supper?
    :-O
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• sgegger
    Options
    Foodsaver is the way to go.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'd shred now also.  When I reheat, I'll usually use a little bit of Blues Hog TN Red.  Just enough to keep it really moist and nobody has ever complained about the hint of vinegar this will add.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    Absolutely pull today. Take the bones and boil with a little water, salt and pepper to make a smokey broth. Pour the broth over the shredded pork and seal in large ziplock bags. Reheat it in the broth on the stove. I have done this many times and reheats beautifully.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Just to add another angle,  This fall I cooked two butts for a weekend, one to eat that night, the other for the next day.  Both had been FTC'd.  The 2nd day butt went into the oven wrapped in foil for about 2 hours at 275.  We pulled it, sauced it (with a vinegar based sauce), and thought it was as good as the fresh.

I have had crock pot pulled pork, and IMHO it looses its texture.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • cvarsek
    Options
    Thanks all.  We shredded it - tis a beautiful thing already.  Came out perfect.  Put the pork aside, and we'll warm it up tomorrow with apple juice, and serve warm bbq sauce on the side for those that want it.

FYI - read a bunch on whether to inject a marinade, and most of what I read said don't bother.  We decided to inject a marinade of beef broth, apple juice, and hot sauce.  It is fantastic, you can get slight hints of the hot sauce from every part of the cut.  
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I would pull it now then tomorrow I would but it in a large pot on top of the stove and put the famous Daves sauce in the pot and reheat like that I have done this with left overs the next day or two and it come out awsome 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.