Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad max turkey question

Options
Going to try and smoke a turkey tonight. I plan on doing it the mad max way. The only question I have is, do I need to take the turkey out of the fridge early?
Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    I remove the turkey from the fridge about 30-40 mins before putting it on the BGE.  During the last 20mins or so, I ice the breasts then start the cook.  Using the ice trick i can get the breast meat to the low 160's when the thighs are into the 180's.  BTW-position the legs to the back of the BGE-hotter back there due to the air-flow path.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ewelch04
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to it.
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Weneedpictures
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I did a 14 pounder yesterday using Mad Max's method.  Keep and eye on the skin color each time you baste.  When it looks nice and brown cover with foil.  I do the same as Lousubcap on the pre- egg timing and pointing the legs to the back of the egg.  I put it on at noon after icing the breasts and it was 165 in the breasts, 178 in the thighs by 5:15.  My temp was between 300 and 325 the whole time.  His gravy recipe is awesome!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    VERY gentle with the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste then adjust as needed.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!