Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for the size of a second egg

Options
Pacuare
Pacuare Posts: 77
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
My husband won a gift certificate for a local large kitchen appliance distributer which also happens to sell BGEs. We are going to upgrade some kitchen appliances, buy an outdoor hood for the outdoor kitchen, and will likely have some money leftover. I am contemplating buying a second egg with the leftover money. We are a family of six with a teenager and three little kids - 7 months, 2.5 and 4.5. What size egg would you recommend? We currently have a large egg. I mostly cook burgers, chicken and steak, and do low and slows and pizzas once or twice a month each. I have been debating about what the right size would be and am thinking an XL or a second L might be nice. I am not sure a smaller egg would make sense for us. Any suggestions?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've been mulling this over for a while. .. Let us know what you decide.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I fixed the OP.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No question on it. A second Large as you already have eqt. Two Larges are fun. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    With all the facts you posted there is no question...get another Large!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    My initial reaction was to say a small, because I have a large / small combination and I like it.  The small comes up to temp really fast and we use it for everyday cooking and the large for larger weekend BBQ's.

However, we are a family of four and you are a family of six so the extra grill space would probably be beneficial.  Plus, like Mickey pointed out, you already have the equipment for a large so no additional expenditures required for new accessories.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'd say get another Large.  Imagine what your current teenager eats then multiply that times 4-5 and that's how much food you are going to need in 10 years.  If you have the money and space the XL would be another option.  I just think having two larges that you can swap out equipment and such would be a wise long term investment.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Pacuare
    Options
    Thanks for the input. If I got another large it would definitely be handy to be able to share equipment. The XL would be nice to have the extra grid space for the day to day cooking. I am afraid of how much food will be consumed years down the road when the three little kids are teenagers...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I say get the XL. I had 2 larges and that's great and all but I would not have been able to cook my 17 pound brisket a couple days ago cause it wouldn't have fit in a large. Also I cook alot and freeze it and at least once a month I do a cook that I would have had to fire up both larges for but all of it will fit in the XL. From someone who has had 2 larges and a large and an XL I don't think I would trade my XL for 2 more larges.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    If you can swing it financially, go for the XL, you will love the space. I had a large then bought a second large. I ended up trading up for 2 XLs
  • Pacuare
    Options
    Thanks @Lit and @Crimsongator for your perspective as former large owners who converted to an XL. I was worried that I might regret down the road buying another large instead of an XL. Your experience is definitely making me thinking about buying an XL.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    The benefit of 2 large eggs is that all your accessories will interchange. The benefit of the XL is the capacity for large cooks. Especially since they redesigned the XL dome, I think it is a better buy. Weigh your options and choose what serves you best!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Xxl?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    With a group like that XL is the answer for the proteins and  the large for backup or another temperature for vegies etc.  I have an XL for two of us, but love the room when the family gets together.  We recently got a medium that will be used quite a bit more for small cooks, but the XL is definitely going to be put to use for low and slow and large gatherings.  It's already here and it's not leaving. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Pacuare
    Options
    Ha ha @henapple. We would need to have about eight more kids to justify a XXL and thankfully that will not be happening or otherwise I would be headed for the looney bin. I have my hands full as it is!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Another definite vote for the XL.

We have three grown kids and one of them lives on campus except during holidays and occasional weekends. I have an XL and two Larges but use the XL more often than the two L's combined.

I don't have the AR for XL but haven't missed it yet.  I can use the Large AR setup in both XL and L.  My grid extender from the group buy also works in either XL or L.  If needed, I can also use my nuts and bolts from pre AR days to configure two additional raised grids on demand.  

I use the XL with lump reducing ring most of the time so it doesn't consume significantly more lump than the L.  With the grid extender and lump reducer, the XL provides the luxury of three zones simultaneously: 1) direct above the lump 2) indirect 'beyond' lump 3) raised direct above lump ... think of the possibilities.

When doing ribs or turkey in XL, it's nice to have extra space around, no worry with cosy fit and burnt edges.

Sometimes I'm 'obligated' to use one or the other L just to prevent it from getting moldy due to lack of use!

If I'm allowed to have only one egg, it's XL hands down.

canuckland
  • Crimsongator
    Options

.....it's nice to have extra space around, no worry with cosy fit and burnt edges.

Agreed!
  • Pacuare
    Options
    @Canugghead - where did you buy the lump reducing ring from? How often do you use the XL and a L?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited December 2013
    Options

You can buy from CGS (link below), but I built my own ...

Got a nice rigid SS collar from my 'junk' bin and sliced it with an angle grinder to yield a tall and a short reducer rings ...

in this photo, I used Large grid (XL grid was frozen stuck on the cart) with reducer ring in the XL in an offset mode.  After the thick frozen home made sausages were sufficiently charred, I moved them away from the lump so they can cook to temp in indirect mode:

another example... XL grid on reducer ring... after transferring tandoori chicken from centre (direct) to the perimeter(indirect), I cooked home made naan bread in the middle: 

I normally egg about 1 to 3 times a week, but during the holiday season it's almost daily.
    canuckland
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Lump reducing rings are available from www.ceramicgrillstore.com. Wonderful company and fantastic products. I would probably say that @tjv who is the owner, would probably have as good a suggestions of any of us to answer your original question. He will not over sell you on anything for any Egg whether it's a mini or an XL I'd go to their website, look over the options for the large and the XL and that could help you make a informed decision.  

Don't hesitate to call Tom and ask questions. He is a Egghead and will help steer you the right way. Phone number should be on the website but if you can't find it I can look it up. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    XL. Love that thing, almost had to sell the L to get it. Luckily my wife kind of forgot I made that promise.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Get an XL. I had two large for quite a while but when I got the XL it seemed a little unnecessary to have two so I sold one. No regrets on that decision.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Pacuare-no BGE comments here but congrats on what must be a huge gift certificate win!  Better to be lucky than good any day!  Wherever you land it will turn out great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    When I first got my Large, I thought a small or medium was in my future. But after doing some more thinking a second large made much more sense, for some of the reasons others mentioned and a few more:

-I only needed to rebuy a couple Eggcessories this way.
    -I didn't have to think about which sized Egg I was using. Performance & Startup times identical. There is something to be said for not having to think during a complex cook.
    -I often leave each one setup for a particular task: indirect & baking and the other for direct or high heat. Don't need to worry about what size I've got set up for what.
    -Having same size makes switching grills mid-cook easy. Going from indirect to a final high heat sear to finish or the crown roast I just made went from 475 to 300 to finish. There was no way that was going to happen fast on one Egg. So I fired up Egg number 2 and got it stabilized at 300. When the time came I transferred the roast and pan.
    -The Large is a good size cause many accessories for Weber grills are same size as LBGE.

Congrats on your good fortune!!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    I only have an XL, and with a large family it is great. I have smoked a ham, a pork butt and a turkey breast at the same time on it with issues. If I buy another it will most likely be a Large just for the fact that it could be transported easier. There are times when I wish I could take it somewhere to cook for others.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I would say go for the XL I have 2 larges and wish my 2nd was a XL I cook for a family of 5 me the wife and 25 yr old twins 1 girl 1 boy and a 22 yr old boy and between all 3 children somebody always has a friend over the 2 larges work but the extra room would be nice 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    There are a lot of misconceptions about the XL.  You do not waste lump, it does not take more effort to heat, and it has all sorts of utility that smaller sizes do not have.  The only things negative about it are weight and cost.  If those don't matter, I would get an XL.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

It would be nice to have the larger cooking area and capacity for different cooking zones wiht the XL. I really miss those aspects of my Weber kettle grills.

On the other hand, a second large means that you could share eggcessories, know how the cooker cooks, etc.

With your family size, my vote goes for the XL.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.