Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck, Duck, Goose

Doing 2 ducks and a goose Saturday. I've cooked plenty of ducks any Goose suggestions? It's a farm raised goose.
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Please post lots of pics on both cooks. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Quack, Quack, Honk?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    D'oie

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Farm raised geese have a huge amount of fat. The fat is great for so many uses, its worth getting a goose just for the fat.

1st: Cut away or scoop away any gobs of fat. I've had a few that half the thigh was fat. Save all the cut away stuff for rendering. Taters fried in goose fat are most superior.

2nd: Score the skin criss cross. Have a good sized drip pan underneath. There is a good chance you might gather a quart of smoked rendered fat. The smoked fat I've gathered does not have a long 'fridge life, a few weeks, and has sometimes been too smokey.

3rd: Not quite sure. I usually cook rather hot and fast, dome 350F, stop like turkey when breast reaches 155.. The meat has always been juicy, but sometimes a little tough, but not too bad. I haven't been happy if when there was too much fat left, see steps 1 & 2 for remedy. 

Never got really crisp skin except on the wings.

Sorry for the less than perfect advice, but thanks for bringing the problem to mind again. It occurs to me that w. enough time, dropping the temp to 250-ish after the fat has rendered might make the meat more tender after another hour.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh yes, you have to save some of the fat from the duck and goose... at least one type. Pomme frites made in duck fat are sublime. 

But be careful as those birds sweat off that fat. Years ago, I burned myself rather badly when trying to empty out a tray full of rendered fat in the middle of a cook on my gasser. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Thanks guys. Ye duck fat roast potatoes are amazing.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I haven't had goose since I left home ~30 years ago, it's very expensive around here anymore.   :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• double
    The price was insane but I had already commited to cooking it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Getting ready to cook.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Scored the outside to help the fat escape.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    The latest BGE accessory ...
    Lynnwood WA
  • I'm almost afraid to ask what you're doing with the blow dryer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • double
    Drying out the skin to help it crisp up. Read on here the other day about someone doing it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Gave the goose a 30 min head start both the XL and the Small at about 375 dome. Glad I remembered to calibrate thermos they were way off.
    Lynnwood WA
  • the duck I did this week (Peking ala centex) was freaking good. It was like the best beef tenderloin you have ever had. I totally ruined the skin (scorched the sh*t out of it) but it was perfect without it. I just pulled it off and sliced it up. duck is now on the list to do more often. couldn't believe how flavorful and tender it was. If I can keep my head out of my butt and do the skin right next time, I'm sure it will be even better. My egg looked like Travis' brisket fire when the duck fat hit the lump. That stuff is like white lightening when it's by a flame.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    Here's the goose. Boy did it have a huge amount of fat. Poured some of that in with the potatoes and made some amazing roast potatoes. Cooked up the giblets in fat to chop up for the gravy.
    Overall the goose flavor was great but I thought it was tough. Considering the price of goose I wouldn't be doing this again soon.

The ducks turned out great I shredded them and served them on crackers with Brie and pepper jelly.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Taters and giblets
    Lynnwood WA