Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there anything the egg can't make great ?

Options
My prime rib turned out nothing short of spectacular , but then again what hasn't ? So what can't the egg make great ?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I tried to do ice cream once on the Egg and it was a bust. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142145/grilled-ice-cream#latest
    Options
    I think I've heard of fried ice cream , but can't say grilled ice creams ever crossed my mind .
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    At -16°F the other night, I would think ice cream was possible on mine.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Sushi.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fairchase
    Options
    Cave man was smart enough to cook his food !
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I can't figure out how to broil stuff.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Turn the pan upside down? That creates it's own issues, though.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Duh !  No wonder I'm an idiot.  I would have never thought of that.  I'm making tortilla soup today, and I always like to broil cheese on top.  I'll give it a try.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    reservations the egg can't make them LOL
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    theres two ways to broil

high broil, wok full of sand topped wit a pizza stone and 1200 dome temps, a fire ball will build up and hover in the dome over the food placed on the stone

low broil, food sits in a lower rack, heat a pizza stone in a second egg to high temps and place it over the food on an upper rack in the first egg. if you remember olddave, that was his comp secret to crisp the skins on chicken thighs before turn in.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    theres two ways to broil

high broil, wok full of sand topped wit a pizza stone and 1200 dome temps, a fire ball will build up and hover in the dome over the food placed on the stone

low broil, food sits in a lower rack, heat a pizza stone in a second egg to high temps and place it over the food on an upper rack in the first egg. if you remember olddave, that was his comp secret to crisp the skins on chicken thighs before turn in.

Michael, I doubt if old Dave has ever been to this forum...that man is a classic and very talented! I need to check on his well being, today!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    theres two ways to broil

Thanks for the tip, but unless I'm out in the woods, I'll stick with the oven.  And, sand will NEVER get into any of my woks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    theres two ways to broil

Thanks for the tip, but unless I'm out in the woods, I'll stick with the oven.  And, sand will NEVER get into any of my woks.
    woks are cheap, whats 10 bucks for a broiler setup :D my duall ovens dont have a broiler in them so its the only way i can do that but at camp it goes in the electric :)) would love to find one of those standalone resteraunt style wall broilers for the house, someday. you can also heat up a castiron fry pan on the biggest burner on your stove and put it top rack as close above the food as possibe in the egg for a broiler effect
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Duh !  No wonder I'm an idiot.  I would have never thought of that.  I'm making tortilla soup today, and I always like to broil cheese on top.  I'll give it a try.
    That's harsh Gary. If you have a mapp torch you can use that too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• margareedaville
    Options
    fairchase said:
    I think I've heard of fried ice cream , but can't say grilled ice creams ever crossed my mind .
    What did you eggxpect?
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest truck. Lesson learned
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    WeberWho?   Wow that sucks sorry to see that !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @Charlesmaneri
    Don't be sorry. I rolled it behind my truck to grab something behind it and forgot to to roll it back. The next morning I grabbed a Dew from the refrigerator in front of the garage. Jumped in the truck and never passed the rear of the truck to notice it. Smashed it to pieces. Was lucky enough to be my spare large I picked up off Craigslist for $200. Would have cried like a school girl if it was my main warranty large. So truck is no good on the egg. Literally! :))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fairchase
    Options
    All the kings horses and all the kings men definitely wont put humpty dumpty back together again !
  • margareedaville
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    At least I know what the cross section of an egg looks like now!  I sort of assumed that it was reinforced with steel.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    That makes my heart hurt.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Rotisserie roasts, but there are often other ways to cook those items on the Egg and get great results.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.