Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gift decisions

Options
I'll start by saying the wife went to my local "dealer" right after thanksgiving to buy the small I'd been talking about. The dumbass talked her out of it for a medium he wouldn't have in stock till Feb. My wife gave me the green light to buy a new egg this morning. ..I'll wait a while though. Sweet of her as she knows nothing about the egg. I might wait till Salado and buy another large, keep it in the nest with some monster wheels to be more mobile.

Anyway, I received several egg related items. The loof lighter and bge gloves are my questions. I use welder gloves and a map torch. ..any reason to change? I got some knives I'd been wanting, grill rings, cutting board and firewire that I'm keeping.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I cant get better than a Mapp torch. I dont know bout the gloves. I also use welder gloves and extra long weber mitts. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I vote to keep the mapp torch and welder gloves. Return the looft lighter (has to be plugged in) and bge gloves for more eggcessories or meat money. 

But recognize that your wife is a darling for wanting to buy you a small, and upgrading to a medium of her own (persuaded) accord.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    agreed
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It just pisses me off the guy tried to manipulate her instead of helping her out...even if it meant calling another dealer. I won't buy anything from them. It's not the egg just the fact she tried to do something nice and he kinda left her hanging. It's a furniture store.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    henapple said:
    It just pisses me off the guy tried to manipulate her instead of helping her out...even if it meant calling another dealer. I won't buy anything from them. It's not the egg just the fact she tried to do something nice and he kinda left her hanging. It's a furniture store.
    I can go you one better...an egger friend helped her friend's husband to buy a large for his wife as she really wanted one. This was to be  complete with a list of eggcessories and money was no object...the BGE dealer talked him out of buying an egg and sold him a big ol' honkin' stainless steel gasser! She's still p*ssed and she does all the grilling he doesn't!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking of talking to the manager when I take my loof lighter back.
  • EGGARIFIC
    Options

Henapple, where was it?

Wouldn't be Dalton, GA would it?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ditch the loof. Very good on the second Large. When will you get a Mini to use the Mapp on? Merry Christmas buddy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    Murfreesboro Tn ...Quality Furniture. You Too @Mickey. ..Salado is sneaking up on us.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Well that explains it, a furniture store, masters of the upgrade, they can't help themselves....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a furniture store that sells BGEs.  

I've met plenty of asshat salesmen in furniture stores, OTOH.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How is the owner to deal with? Maybe you could raise a little hell and they will switch you for a small and refund the difference if your wife prepaid.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    Options
    No. .. she didn't get it. I think she got fed up and left. I've only been in there once and waited for 10 minutes and no one even talked to me. It's something I'll have to buy and for what they charge I would have taken it back. She's a trooper for even trying.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would just chew some arse and find a different dealer. BTW - major kudos to your wife for the super cool effort.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So are you going to pick one up in Salado? Happy New Year man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Unfortunately, that is how a lot of people are these days, just try to push for a bigger sale. I'm glad my local dealer is nothing like that. They are a huge help and have actually tried to save me money by recommending something cheaper that is the same quality. Some times I feel bad buying stuff online because those guys have been so good to me and my family. Maybe talking to the manager might be a help, could just be that one salesman and maybe the manager might hook you up for the inconvenience   ;)
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    It will all work out in the end. I'd ditch the loof lighter and save the money to go toward the new egg. I use Ove gloves for my egg and they work great. My dealer is an ass but in a different way. He won't even attempt to sell you something. It's more like, what do you want? You should've done your homework before you came to the store.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I have a Looft lighter that just sits I'm my storage box I use my Mapp torch the Looft lighter works well but it's a pain in the ass I have to run a extension cord to use it with the Mapp torch their is no fuss just click on and point at the lump and in like 30 seconds their is fire 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.