Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's ham (guidance needed)

So I've been reading all the posts and recipes about reheating hams. I want to do a combination of some but don't want to screw it up either so I figure il run it by y'all here?
It's a 6.6 pound bone in. I'm thinking flat side down, water pan and platesetter, 275 dome for ~3hrs?? Pull at 135 internal (hopefully I'm about to unwrap a thermapen), score in crosshatch 1.5 inch deep, and rub with what? Maybe honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, sweet baby rays, maybe some dizzy dust. Do this before or during cook?
Does this sound even close?
I appreciate the guidance, and Merry Christmas!!!
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• Here is what I'm doing today. This will be the first Ham Ive done too so were in this together brother. I think this is Egerts Ham.

Maple-Bourbon Ham

Ingredients
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
    Instructions
    The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it). Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid.
    Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2013
    For me I cover the drip pan with alum foil ( for clean up) and use salt instead of liquid. At 275 it is not going to take 3 hours. Fully with you on pulling at 135 ( carryover will take it to 140 and not past). Not the BabyRays please. When I did put on toppings I did it the night before but you can do it now. No word of smoke, this is very important. I like a mix of Sugar Maple & Cherry. Mix what you like but if you have cherry make it part for the color and some other sweet wood. When you do the paste, mix all togather and apply. You will have a great ham. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234

Here is what I'm doing today. This will be the first Ham Ive done too so were in this together brother. I think this is Egerts Ham.

Maple-Bourbon Ham

Ingredients
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
    Instructions
    The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it). Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid.
    Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

That is what I am doing as well except I decided not to inject.

Merry Christmas!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Gotta ham on 11lb ham on right now. I am goin naked. Nothing but smoke. 325-350 with 2 cherry chunks and a double handful of maple chips. I am guessing about 4hrs till 135-140IT. Nothing like a ham that taste like ham.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Gotta ham on 11lb ham on right now. I am goin naked. Nothing but smoke. 325-350 with 2 cherry chunks and a double handful of maple chips. I am guessing about 4hrs till 135-140IT. Nothing like a ham that taste like ham.

Precooked: correct? If a fresh not cooked ham forget what I am saying. It's not going to take that long and try to hold it to 300. Really try to pull at 135 (carryover will pull it to 140).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    edited December 2013
    Thanks @mickey. Gonna dial it back just a bit. And yes "precooked"

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    Thanks @mickey. Gonna dial it back just a bit. And yes "precooked"

Also those black pieces, they are outstanding. The whole reason I carve it. And please keep a very close eye on temp after just under 2 hours.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    No divorce pending! I've got the thermapen!!!! Thanks all for the help, yes forgot to mention the wood. Only problem is I only have apple. If publix is open I'll get some cherry. I'll post the results later! :D
  • Mattman3969
    Apple is good on ham as well.

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Mattman3969 - as Mickey said, your temps are on the high side. At 300, you'll be done in about 2ish hr's with that size precooked ham. I f you get done early you can FTC until it's time to eat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    edited December 2013
    I am at 2:15hrs on the egg, was running at 325 first hour and 300 indirect now and IT is 97* This is a 11lb bone in

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    @Jeremiah - the OP, sorry bout the thread jacking.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    I am at 2:15hrs on the egg, was running at 325 first hour and 300 indirect now and IT is 97* This is a 11lb bone in

Not trying to get into your cook but please don't trust what you have in the above pic. Do you have a thermapen? If not , another way to check temp. Your cooking at 325 just seems the temp is low. They cook fast. That ham looks good. Merry Christmas

• Mattman3969
    Thanks for the concern @mickey!!! I just pulled it at 3 1/2hrs. The thermapen said 135 as an average with the highest in spot being 140. Dome therm is calibrated and was running about 25* ahead of the Maverick at grid. I don't know why the difference in our cook times.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    @Mattnam3969. We are going to want pics

• Mattman3969
    Only one I have is above. SORRY. The wife was a little sensitive about me a "my girlfriends" on Christmas. It is cut up and we are leaving for the MIL's. From the couple of bites I had it was awesome.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Ok here is the sliced pic

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    Nice ham

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    My ham from yesterday. It came out well, except I waaaaay over did the dp swamp venom. I don't know what I was thinking, I wanted the crust to be spicy but wow. Way to go moron. Other than that it was good. I got to try out my new thermapen, I'm a little confused though, it read drastically different temps in different spots; after 2.5 hrs the core middle was 144, but other spots were as low as 100. Where exactly is the right spot to measure?? image