Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Boneless Rib Roast @ 115 F Two Hours early!

All,

My boneless rib roast is at 115 F two hours early.  I planned to go direct at this point and take to 128 or so, but not sure what to do since we won't be ready to eat for 2 more hours.   What should I do?

Thanks in advance!
Indianapolis, Indiana.  Go Colts & Hoosiers!

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Certainly more experienced folks out there, but I'm inclined to say you're gonna get pull it and FTC it.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • 128 seems very low for a roast. It will still be raw inside. If that is what your after then so be it. I like my roasts cooked a bit to soften up the tissue and make it tender. 
  • Sorry, 138...typo on my part.  I pulled it at 120 and have decided to double wrap in foil (steam) and see what it does to temp, then sear it right before serving.  We will see what happens!!  Ugh...$120 and 3 days of prep is flashing before my eyes!
  • CP92
    I'd say go ahead and towel and cooler it as well.  Will certainly hold the heat better.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Roger @CP92.  It is stabilized at 119 right now...
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I would say FTC until reverse sear time. I would still think 125* is good for the final IT. I would also think a short rest after the sear still. Just a thought. Good luck.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • CP92
    Let us know the results.  I know the anguish over the feeling of a blown meal and a hundred plus $$.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Why could you not also cut then take each piece and "finish" on a 500* direct for a minute or so?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Kortneys
    Kortneys Posts: 26
    edited December 2013
    I had a hungry crowd when I put it back on. The temp was 116 and I decided to speed it up.  I put it on direct at 350 and it took about 45 minutes for the temp to get to 135.  I pulled it off, lots of crunchy outside and pink inside.  I was a bit disappointed with the 3/4" brown ring edge (versus all pink - I figured this would happen given the high cooking temp and direct), but it was still so moist and flavorful.  This was my first boneless ribeye roast, and I learned a ton!  Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!
  • Kortneys said:
    All,

My boneless rib roast is at 115 F two hours early.  I planned to go direct at this point and take to 128 or so, but not sure what to do since we won't be ready to eat for 2 more hours.   What should I do?

Thanks in advance!
    What temp did you cook it at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I had a similar problem.

Hey henapple, let's eat at 5
    Hey henapple, let's move it 5:30
    Hey henapple, they'll be here at 6
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Indianapolis, Indiana.  Go Colts & Hoosiers!