Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocking Difficulty

Options
So I've spatchcocked quite a few chickens in my time but tonight was my first turkey. Brined for 24 hours and spatchcocked tonight in preparation for tomorrows cook. Is it just me or is getting the keel bone out of a turkey alot more difficult than getting it out of a chicken? Any tips? Its ready to go now but it sure wasnt easy.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Slice through the cartilage found at the center of the breast. I never remove the keel bone of chicken or turkey. Then opens up flat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've found not only the keel bone, but also just removing the backbone much more difficult on a turkey than on a chicken.  A cleaver or some tin snips can save the good kitchen shears. 
    Options
    I always take a sharp knife and slice an X in the breast bone on the inside of the bird. Flip it over with the breast side up, lay your palm on the breast and push down. Flattens out every time.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options
    Certainly have to go a lot deeper and harder (no pun here) on a turkey. Don't even approach with the mindset that it's like a chook.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • jenericzac
    Options
    My wife got me new poultry shears for xmas. The chefs choice, all stainless, very nice, only problem is that it's hard to keep a grip on them because my hand slides up the handle when I try to cut. The backbone came out pretty easy. It was the keel bone that gave me the troubles though. I've never tried just scoring the bone with a knife and pushing down. Does that just break the bone open? I've always just followed the directions in Steven Reichlens book. Actually when I do a chicken alot of times I remove the rib cage also. It makes it pretty much boneless and easy for slicing. Everything stays together though. The bird doesn't fall apart.  Thanks for the tips.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Cutco cutlery super shears are amazing! You have to buy them from college aged kids that sell through referrals. I used to sell them a decade ago, but they really make great cutlery. The super shears are amazing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I belueve I have a pair of OXO Poultry Shears. Nice stainless blades, but grippy rubber handles. Between that and a pairing knife, there isn't a keel bone too tough to remove. You can also just cut the keel bone in half with the shears and dont have to bother removing it. I've done that a time or two when in a rush or was just lazy.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options

I spatchcocked a turkey for Thanksgiving and removed the sternum and ribs.  It’s a good way to go with a large bird (mine was 31 lbs) in that it lies flat on the grid and is much easier to carve.  The trick to removing the sternum is to use your fingers and dig down on either side of the sternum clearing the meat away from the bone and cartilage.  With the sternum fully exposed, grip it and pull up, detaching it from the underlying breast skin.  It takes more force than removing one from a chicken but it still worked fine for me.  A little cartilage may be left behind – you can scrape it away with a boning knife.  <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />