Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you eat for dinner the night before the big day....

...., why pulled pork from your last smoke, that has been in the freezer for 6 months.  Taste as good as the day after.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Christmas Eve at our house is always been Lasagna with Italian Sausage and Garlic Bread.
  • The Stricklands are keeping it easy. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Tradition here is shrimp - this year grilled on the Egg with butter and lemon herb seasoning.. Along with a jumbo lump crab appetizer, served cold with just a bit of lemon juice. A bottle of Silver Oak Cab and now getting ready to read Night Before Christmas, tuck the little one in and get ready for Santa.

Looks like our New Year's Eve.  Sometimes I go to bed at 2345 to show my contempt.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Soup and crackers from the microwave. Its below 30 out and I just put a 16.5 pound brisket on for tomorrows dinner so I reached my maximum outdoor time. Filled the keg today and cleaned all the lines and enjoying my first beer now.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Apparently it's oven chicken fingers and cheese dip and crackers here.  Not that exciting but we weren't planning on being here for Christmas eve...

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Lit, you just reminded me. I have to put my brisket on too.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Tradition here is take out pizza. Egged pizza this year! No pics but it was good.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Normally we do tamales with queso and salsa but we switched it up this year. We are doing that tomorrow evening. Tonight is full blown dim sum (all homemade): Lobster potstickers, Peking Duck, pork soup dumplings, bbq pork buns.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Normally we do tamales with queso and salsa but we switched it up this year. We are doing that tomorrow evening. Tonight is full blown dim sum (all homemade): Lobster potstickers, Peking Duck, pork soup dumplings, bbq pork buns.
    Am I too late for dinner????

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Doc, I haven't made midnight on new years since 1999. I did everything harder faster and longer than anyone I knew. I grew old fast. If I want to party all night I'll do it any night I feel like. New Years is my night of protest so I go to bed. Here is a pic of me in NOLA. I didn't make it to midnight but my work was done. 

• Here I am in Austin, TX. I was in bed by 1100. image
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    After reading the threads I'm easily confused by the meaning of the "big day"-but figuring today is Christmas Eve I will start with that-today is FYAO paella (freeze your a$$ off) as the paella is a given regardless of temps-for our GWN brethren it's a balmy 22*F here. Now for New Year's Eve-that is amateur hour to me-but I will stay close (walk/crawl distance) for few glasses of juice and a good banquet-that I don't cook!  Merry Christmas all!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    trav - The black caption border needs to be a little higher. Your nipple is showing. The nausea is overwhelming. Please correct and repost.

=))

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Normally we do tamales with queso and salsa but we switched it up this year. We are doing that tomorrow evening. Tonight is full blown dim sum (all homemade): Lobster potstickers, Peking Duck, pork soup dumplings, bbq pork buns.
    Superb. Please post some pics. Xiao long bao takes some talent.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

trav - The black caption border needs to be a little higher. Your nipple is showing. The nausea is overwhelming. Please correct and repost.

=))
    I could have it go all the way up to the exit sign. Maybe it's just me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I win. Frozen pizza.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Doc, I haven't made midnight on new years since 1999. I did everything harder faster and longer than anyone I knew. I grew old fast. If I want to party all night I'll do it any night I feel like. New Years is my night of protest so I go to bed. Here is a pic of me in NOLA. I didn't make it to midnight but my work was done. 

Any question that you were white have now been totally erased.   :D

I've lost touch with my xmas Eve tradition.  Back then Mom took the leftover TG turkey from the freezer, chopped it up fine, then mixed it with a block of melted Velveeta and a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles.  We then glopped it into flour tortillas, rolled them up, and enjoyed our "enchiladas", as us white german/norwegians called them!  
    Total garbage, but I need to try them again just for old time's sake!  
    :)

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Our family traditional meal on Christmas Eve was oyster stew.  Doesn't work too well on the Egg.  Hard to keep the temp down that low and the smokiness from charcoal just isn't right for some foods.  Must be the milk because I love smoked oysters.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Lobster Mac-and-Cheese here. Started as a special request a couple of years ago from one of my boys and the tradition has stuck.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my Egg friends,
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Tradition here is frozen pizza and booze! And we watch Christmas Story! Couldn't be any better!
    NW IOWA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Christmas Eve is prime rib night!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2013
    Homemade veggie soup & cornbread. With plenty of booze once I get home.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Went out this year. I had Pork Osso Buco. Yum!.

I'd like to find the cut and cook on the egg
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Waffle House bacon cheeseburger and hash browns all the way. Only thing open past 2000 hours here.
    Decatur, AL
  • Teedoff said:

Waffle House bacon cheeseburger and hash browns all the way. Only thing open past 2000 hours here.

Like, love, super like.
  • I am a connoisseur of fine dining establishments.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    Decatur, AL
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Lobster is our Xmas eve tradition.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Whatever my mother in law says we are having
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    So I put this brisket on a 6pm last night for tonights 630 dinner and its at 170 still. Did 250 dome with the cyberq and dome both reading 250. Had to foil and but to 275 dome. Not gonna have much time to rest if it finishes at all.