Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Ham

Options
I'm doing a Naked Ham for the first time tonight, and want to get an idea of how far ahead to start.  It's 11 pounds, so will 300 degrees be in the neighborhood of four hours?  Thanks for the help!. 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I did a 10lb for TG and it took about 3 1/2hrs at 325-350

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    School me here please. What is a naked ham?
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of Sugar Maple and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect. New item: just did spiral and worked out fine. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    School me here please. What is a naked ham?

See above. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have made 2 attempts and am still learning.  More comments on this thread.  I have learned not to overcook.

Milton, GA.
  • Mickey
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    I have made 2 attempts and am still learning.  More comments on this thread.  I have learned not to overcook.

Pull at 135, it will still get to 140.

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

Here's what I found:

11.13# Cooks half ham

Egg was raised indirect with legs up and a foil drip pan with some water in it.

Ozark Oak with Apple wood

Started at 2:10 and it was around 40 degrees outside

Held 310 degrees at the grid throughout

One hour in, internal temp was 63

Two hours in, internal temp was 111

At two hours and fifty minutes, pulled from the egg at 138 degrees

Foil, towel, cooler for an hour, and the temp was 137 when I brought it out to slice

It was very moist.

This cook time seemed pretty short.  The ham did have a fairly large cross-section, so maybe that sped it along.

• ElCapitan
    Options
    Are you guys using a fully cooked ham or a raw ham?
    XL Owner