Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib roast - bone on or off

Options
Hello, fellow Eggers...

i've been reading all the posts on doing the roast and noticed most do the roast with bones off as compared to bones on?
>
7.68 # roast with bone and i want to put it on and take it off when its done, to much family over...
>
indirect, 300 temp, drip pan but WITH bone or WITHOUT bone ?....
>
>
does it cook faster without the bone? 
>
 i see where some have put the bones in the drip pan to cook?
>
tks, and Have a Eggerfull Day

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Yup-kinda like Ford vs Chevy...That said, I'm in the bones off camp only because I really enjoy the beef back ribs that they become.  You can get a more uniform cook w/o the bones but I don't think it makes that much difference-BTW here's a good read about the subject:  http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html Regardless of where you land it will be great!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Im from the school of bone on I feel that the bone adds flavor and it also protects the meat if you cook bone side down 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I go bone off. Gives more area to create delicious bark/crust. I used the bones to make au jus today and refrigerate until tomorrow when I will reheat on the stove.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I'm for bones off and saving them for some beef back ribs.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • wnbasac
    Options
    ummm, ok i'm gonna try the bones off....
    >
    i'll put them in the drip pan
    >
    so with bones off is 300 temp ok?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

"every time you call it blood, a teenager becomes vegetarian"

:)) =))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.