Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad max and the wine?

Options
So i'm doing a turkey for xmas of course and the mad max recipie says to  pour wine over the bird before cooking will this inhibit a crispy skin and is it necessary to do this?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Wine won't hurt the browning son. They come out with a great colour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    DO NOT put the other 1/2 of the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste and add more to suite your taste.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I read that wrong...I thought you meant whine...like in "why aren't we going to Florida?"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options

DO NOT put the other 1/2 of the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste and add more to suite your taste.

Amen to that. I just tried this out and it was my only regret about the whole Mad Max experience. A little less wine in the gravy and it would have been perfect.

You can never have too much alcohol, or too much gravy, but can have too much alcohol in your gravy!

New Brunswick, Canada

• Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    I'm also following the Mad Max Turkey and Gravy recipe and process for Christmas. At 325 degrees, as suggested by Mad Max, can anyone help me with how many minutes per pound? I understand the desired temperature but I'd like a guide for planning purposes. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @fishlessman did a poll a few years back and it was between 12 and 15 minutes per pound

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Wine won't hurt the browning son. They come out with a great colour.

LS, what do you mean by it will help the colour? I've done a few turkeys and as we all know, the skin gets pretty brown from the smoke. Will the wine help it be more golden, or deepen the colour even further?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah my gravy was too sweet from the wine. Less is more
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great advice...my gravy was too winey as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• matthethamm
    Options
    This was my only feedback from the thanksgiving crowd.  Turkey, great, gravy, not so much
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • OVERULD
    Options

Thanks for the posts - I'm also doing the Mad Max turkey for Christmas dinner and these were helpful.  Especially the tip on not putting too much wine in the gravy.

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Make sure you are using the right wine. A Reisling or Moscato is way too sweet. Try a Pinot Grigio or a Chardonnay. I followed Max's recipe to a T on the gravy using Pinot Grigio and it was awesome.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Options
    Agree. The amount of the wine will depend on the type. I've used a Chardonnay and half a bottle was fine. But it would be smart to start small and add to taste.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I did the Mad Max at Thanksgiving, ended up putting all of the wine (a dry Finger Lakes white blend) into the dripping pan to keep replenished.  I also cooked the neck, innards, and herbs into stock which went into the gravy..When it was all over, it was the best gravy I have made.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY