Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Christmas woes

So I received two lodge cast iron dutch ovens. One is a 6qt and one is a 8qt with feet. Which would you keep? I like the idea of the feet if I put the oven right on the PS..but I'm also afraid that it'll put to much weight on the PS...as opposed to putting the Dutch on the grate. Which would you keep? Or would you keep both?
·

Comments

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    Both - no problem with the weight on the plate setter.  You can always use good cast iron!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Does either have a lid that can be used as a CI deep dish pizza pan.  I use the lid of mine more than I use the DO.
  • Hmm I will have to look into that. I don't see myself using it that much. Which is why I was debating on keeping both or returning one of them
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    If you're only keeping one choose the largest. Weight doesn't matter but occasionally I cook a pot full of soup....and I mean full.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,745
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I like the one with feet. It's bigger and i think it would overall be the best due to the feet..but it's not the one my wife got me but rather my father. So I'm treading lightly
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,829
    +1 on keep them both. The one with feet probably also has a lid with a lip. You can use it as an aux cooker with just charcoal briquettes if you ever need to.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • Keep them both. No brainer.

Little Rock, AR

·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    The one with feet can be used in a campfire with coals/briquettes on top. Guess you weren't a Boy Scout! You should keep both- everybody's happy
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,742
    Def keep both. Use them both and pass them down to your children when the time time is right. I have my memmaws CI skillet and it means the world to me.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Keep em both, and keep the gift givers happy happy happy
    ·
  • AlphonseAlphonse Posts: 79
    edited December 2013
    I've got both and use them both. Use the one with feet on camping trips with charcoal top and bottom. Biggest trick is to season them well from the get go.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
    ·
  • I would keep both the way I see it you never have enough toys !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • I'm in the no feet camp. My Dutch oven sometimes gets used on the stove if we need an extra pot. You can't use the one with the feet on the stove. Now if you do lots of camping then keep the bigger one.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,324
    Target lists the 6 qt. camp dutch oven (with legs) at 19 pounds, empty.  When you consider the weight of what you're adding, I'd pass on putting that much weight at three small points on the platesetter. 

• Capacity (volume): 6.0 Qt.
    • Care and Cleaning: Clean with Water and Stiff Brush
    • Dimensions: 12.0 " L x 12.5 " W x 7.25 " H
    • Weight: 19.0 Lb.
    • Baking Cooking Surface: Iron

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    i would keep the one with the feet and tell the wife that your upgrading the other one to an enamelled lodge dutch oven. if your going to have two, one should be enamelled. find a smaller drip pan that fits the feet and use that instead of the platesetter for support
    ·
  • The lodge one that I received it a 8qt with feet...21 lbs empty. Are you ppl sure the PS can hold it?
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I have the 4, 6, and 8 quart and use them all. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·