Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first standing rib roast

Options
xjwheelr
xjwheelr Posts: 20
Wanted to treat my parents to something nice for our Christmas dinner, thought I'd try a rib roast.

6.5 lb choice, bone in
Rub made from fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley and garlic with a little dried oregano and fennel seed. Held it all together with grape seed oil (virgin olive oil should not be used in high temps, FYI).
2 pecan chunks and some oak chips for flavor.
Held the dome temp at 240-260 for the first two hours, then slowed it down for the next hour or so (~220) to pace dinner time. Cranked it up to around 270 for the remaining 30 minutes to make sure my IT hit right at 4:30.
Pulled it at 130 IT, placed immediately in the oven to sear at 500 for 5 minutes.
Covered with two layers of foil and a couple towels until 5:00, then carved.

The smoke flavor was good, not too strong but definitely present. Perfect temperature for my taste, but SWMBO said pull it a little sooner next time. I'd say it turned out right on the border of medium rare and medium. Pics below.

Also roasted (smoked, really, because the wood was still in there) various veggies after I took the roast out. Turned out really good.

Comments