Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham tips.....

Options
So I have a 7kg smoked bone in ham anyone with any tips how to prepare it?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158915/naked-ham-a-new-way-for-me

This is a simple way to do ham on the egg.  Since it's already been smoked I wouldn't add any smoking wood except perhaps a mild fruit wood. I did something similar about a month ago and it was really good. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Try it like this:

Maple-Bourbon Ham

by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients:

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)

10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section) 

1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup

Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation:

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).

Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250℉ with plate setter (legs up) and regular grid on plate setter. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140°. (this should take about 5 hours). 

Maple-Bourbon Paste:

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup

2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper

2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard

1 Tbls. Bourbon

1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil

1 Tbls. Paprika

1 Tbls. Onion Powder 

2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of Sugar Maple and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect. New item: just did spiral and worked out fine. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    As with many great inventions, Mickey stumbled on his success with a Naked Ham by accident.  He started out wanting to cook a ham naked, but after 10 shots of Tito Vodka and the screaming from the neighbors to put some clothes on, he got confused and cooked a Naked Ham instead.  The rest is history.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Loosemoose
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, I am going to try this this weekend.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, I am going to try this this weekend.

If not spiral please score inch to inch and a half deep all over. If spiral it takes of itself.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jwright11
    Options
    I rub mine with mustard and coarse pepper. Then inject with a mixture of vinegar, ketchup, water, cayenne, and salt. Injection makes a nice flavor.