Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High que fire grate?

Options
Just put in my new high que fire grate and will be using it for my christmas turkey cook.

Guess ill go nuclear pretty quick now????

Does it make a big difference in start-up times and lump consumption?.I wouldn't want to ruin christmas dinner..lol

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Deffinitley quicker temps but I wouldn't say nuclear. I just like it because it doesn't choke
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Start up is faster, i dont notice any extra lump other than some small that fall through but they eventually burns I did however notice a difference in the vent settings compared to the OEM grate.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    me too on the difference in vent settings.  the main reason i got it is the no clog factor.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Agree with the comments.  Quicker light up, vents a bit less open than before, and no clogs on lo-n-slo.  I have a small piece of 1/2 screen that I dump the ashes through and get some small pieces that I end up throwing on top of the new lump
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    BGE is an air-flow throttled machine (with no moving parts:)).  As noted above, the High Que changes the volume of air flow so you have to compensate to achieve the same temps.  No clogging is the big bonus and I believe @stlcharcoal offers a similar product.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Im in the same situation. Got the new charcoal grate and going to fire it up for a turkey on Xmas day. Also got the smoke ware chimney cap also, so im going to have a bit of a learning curve.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just remember slower is easier. Don't let the temp get away from you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just remember slower is easier. Don't let the temp get away from you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN