Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Random weekend cooks - lotsa pics

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,704
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
My sisters flew in and threw a baby shower for SWMBO this past weekend. One of my best friends was able to make it to Houston as well. I surprised SWMBO at 2am on Sat when I came home from the airport with one of her closest friends from college. Apologies for the lack of plated shots, but there was a lot of booze flowing this weekend, and a fair bit of it flowed into me as well.

Fri night - Picked up some prime top sirloin steaks form Costco, dusted with DP Cowlick, sous vide for 5 hours, then seared them on the egg. Green and yellow squash on the side, with salad. The steaks were finished with a mushroom/onion/red wine sauce that came out pretty good. No Plated pics. The steaks were good, but next time I will sous vide them for longer, maybe 24hrs. 

Sat morning - Woke up Sat morning and grilled chicken breasts (dusted with Plowboy's Yardbird) for the buffalao chicken dip. Dip included a tub of jalapeno yogurt dip from Costco, Mexican cheese blend, a cup of Ranch dressing, a cup of Frank's, and the chicken. It was a big hit with the crowd. I forgot to take a picture of the dip.

Made a whole lotta pig shots too. Dusting with Pineapple Head was a good idea. Crowd loved these too. Food was catered in, but I made the apps. Both came out pretty darn good.

Party was a blast on Saturday afternoon. SWMBO had a great time, and so did I. Once the guests left, the good times continued with our friends and family. I was definitely over-served. My niece made these cookies - sumb!tches (has something to do with the show "How I met Your Mother"). Best darn cookies ever. Peanut butter with a Snickers bar in the middle. She saved a few for me to make on the egg. They burned a little on the bottom, so next time I will pick them up 5-10mins earlier. I still ate them.

The libations. The bottle of tequila was tapped out before the sun set, hence its not in the pic.

Sun morning - Somehow woke up early enough to get breakfast/brunch organized. This was not egged so technically its OT. Put my big discada/tawa on the Performer and got the salsa groceries going - tomatillos, garlic, poblano and jalapeno peppers. Then came the veggies  - onions and peppers seasoned with cumin, lime juice, achiote powder, and ancho chile powder. Fried up some chorizo, eggs, and corn tortillas. 

Maybe you didn't need so many pics of this cook, but I was having a great time cooking outside on a Sun morning, friends and family were around, and life felt good. 

Salsa ingredients went in the food pro, with a little lime juice, salt, and OJ. The salsa had a nice kick to it.

And waddaya know - I finally remembered to take a picture of the plated food!! Nothing like breakfast tacos to cap off a weekend. 

The rest of Sunday was spent taking people to the airport. I was exhausted, but we had a fabulous weekend with close friends and my family, and it was the best weekend I remember having in a long time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments