Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have to do two turkeys tomorrow...

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I want to spatchcock them raised direct because it turned out amazing for Thanksgiving.  It only takes an hour to 90min so I could do one at a time.  I plan to carve and place in foil pans covered and drive to the mother-in-law's(bout 15 minutes). Can I FTC the first turkey before carving while the other cooks? Would it be better to cook both on two levels and alternate?  I don't have the AR yet but I could probably figure out a way to rotate them.  I'm open to all suggestions on how to manage this(short of getting another Egg which would be my first solution if I didn't have to deal with the wife :D ), thanks.  
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I am a bit rusty, What does FTC mean? Does it mean foil, towel cooler? It yes, then that is the way I do mine all the time. I cook spatchcock turkey as well as upright vertical roaster and when they are done I wrap in heavy tinfoil,then towels, put in a preheated cooler and take them to my in-laws. When they are just about ready to eat I take them put them under the broilers for 10 min (they got to high end wall overns, they are rich!) and crisp up the skin. Take them out, carve them up and say grace. Everybody says they love it, but most importantly, I do.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

Can't help with the turkey questions but for your info wife=SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed).   :)

Have a great holiday..

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    edited December 2013
    Options
    lousubcap said: Can't help with the turkey questions but for your info wife=SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed).   :) Have a great holiday..
    yes I know, but I don't
    always obey her so I figured I shouldn't use that acronym  ;)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    lousubcap said:

Can't help with the turkey questions but for your info wife=SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed).   :)

Have a great holiday..

yes I know, but I don't always obey her so I figured I shouldn't use that acronym  ;) LOL! I have been married 36 years and very happily married for 35 of them. It took me and entire year to figure out how to win every argument with my new wife was by getting the last two words, "Yes Dear."
  • jls9595
    Options
    You are a smart man lousubcap, I am getting close to 9 years myself but I'm a slow learner haha
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    if I didn't have to deal with the wife :D ), thanks.  

But then you wouldn't have to take turkey to the mother in laws either so the problem appears to be not that you don't have enough eggs space but that you have one wife too many.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • jls9595
    Options
    gmac said:
    jls9595 said:
    if I didn't have to deal with the wife :D ), thanks.  

But then you wouldn't have to take turkey to the mother in laws either so the problem appears to be not that you don't have enough eggs space but that you have one wife too many.

huh, that's very philosophical... but, I love the wife and her parents, crazy I know, so I have to believe it's lack of Egg space.  You have given me something to ponder though:-?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • gmac
    Options
    You could be right. I wouldn't trade my wife for a second egg unless it was an XXL.
  • jls9595
    Options
    gmac said:
    You could be right. I wouldn't trade my wife for a second egg unless it was an XXL.

Now, an XXL....let me ponder some more
    :-?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    Well, first one is almost done.  I'm just gonna FTC it while the other cooks.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Taste it from here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gmac
    Options
    Hope mine looks half that good tomorrow. Enjoy.
  • jls9595
    Options
    It was so so good.  Totally forgot to take pics of how juicy the white meat was, it was awesome though.  I am convinced there is no other way to do a turkey.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!