Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low and slow lighting

Options
I've started lighting one area for overnight cooks. The second time the lump seemed to burn down instead of out. Being Ozark Oak it handled the 16 hrs cook but I'm doing 2 10 lb butts tonight and going low...220. I might try my first l&s with Rockwood but haven't decided. Any lighting advice to avoid the straight down burn?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    FWIW.... I always just light in one spot.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How about two lights: frt & back or l & r ? Or do like I do for any light. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Options
    In my MED (closest to the LG size wise) I light two spots, far left and far right. For my XL, I light three spots in a triangle with the point of the triangle closest to the front of the egg. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    With Rockwood, I only light one spot in the center. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• wbradking
    Options
    I'm doing a low and slow tonight too. I plan on using the oil soaked paper towel in the vent trick to get things going.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Going contrarian-I always light at the bottom of the lump load; center for low and slow; two spots for hot and fast (around 4 and 8 on the clock dial).  Use a small piece of a fire starter (Diamond , Strike a Fire) and then load the lump above the burning starter to the level of the remaining load.  No straight down burns (nothing there) as my theory is that fire tends to "burn up".  In an oxygen unlimited environment (granted the BGE is not) house fires head toward the attic/roof before going down toward the basement.  YMMV-but never lost a fire (now jinxed) with the original LBGE fire grate.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've always lit the charcoal remaining from the last cook first; then once hot, I pour the new lump on top.
    I do this more to drive off the VOCs quickly (heat coming from below) but I haven't had any problems with nothing burning during a long cook.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I light in the center for everything and never have a problem I use Royal Oak and love it never had it burn down and not spread evenly thru the egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.