Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

morgaj1
morgaj1 Posts: 37
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
A couple of years ago, I welded up this reverse flow stick-burner.  I had a blast researching the build, finding the scrap metal and building it.  It worked really well and I used it a ton.  Well, I have a local college student that is a friend of the family.  He is really trying to learn to BBQ and is a great kid.  Plus, he had a rough semester at school.  So, I decided to give the smoker to him for Christmas.  You should have seen the look on that kid's face when I told him that it was his!  He has already hit me up to help cut some firewood.

Comments

• That's a great gift!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Are you sending it down the road? .... gotta be a reason to hang on to it. It doesn't deserve to be neglected does it?
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Wow, what a Christmas for that kid. I'm guessing you feel almost as good as he does right now.
    Very nice of you! Well done sir!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • It's not neglected, but I wanted to give the kid something to start learning to smoke with.  I have a welder, a plasma cutter and a local scrapyard, so I can build another if I get the itch.
  • Well then, all is well!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Very nice act of kindness on your part! Looks like a well built offset. :-bd
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • That's great.  It reminds me of one that I gave to a guy when he was really in need.  Now he is back on his feet, and has since given that same smoker to someone else that was in need at the time.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • GreenhawK said:
    That's great.  It reminds me of one that I gave to a guy when he was really in need.  Now he is back on his feet, and has since given that same smoker to someone else that was in need at the time.  
    I don't see a lot of younger guys learning anything about BBQ.  Beyond a gasser, they are clueless.  This kid has been wanting to learn, plus he's willing to cut and split firewood.  And he's a broke college student.  All of that made me want to help him.
  • Building and welding up a stick burner is on my to-do list. I've been watching my local CL ads for a decent steel tank for a starting point for the project. Just can't really decide on how big I want to go yet. Seems like it would be a fun and rewarding project.
  • Building and welding up a stick burner is on my to-do list. I've been watching my local CL ads for a decent steel tank for a starting point for the project. Just can't really decide on how big I want to go yet. Seems like it would be a fun and rewarding project.
    I did the same, but never found a good tank.  I ended up finding some 3/8" thick reclaimed natural gas pipe at our scrap yard.  It was actually easier to work with than a tank.  It did have some surface pitting that really showed after sandblasting.  It did not affect the structure and I thought it added character.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Ill take a look at your plans for something to play with :) looks like a fun project
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Next thing you know the kid will ne looking for a Egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Random acts of kindness is what this world could use more of. That was a fantastic gesture/gift to that young man. And I'm sure he appreciates it. Nice looking stick burner with real character.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Random acts of kindness is what this world could use more of. That was a fantastic gesture/gift to that young man. And I'm sure he appreciates it. Nice looking stick burner with real character.

+ 1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wow you built one nice smoker.  What a wonderful Christmas present you have given.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • " Tiger Fans " do the nicest things. Great gift.

Opelika, Alabama
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    My next door neighbor 35 years ago had a smoker, just a charcoal-water smoker, that he'd fire up to smoke fish (kingfish, wahoo, etc.) when he caught them. He was an AC contractor and made a custom sheet metal dome for it that I called a 'Lincoln hat' that had a chimney with an exhaust valve. The fish was great and we killed many margaritas smoking fish in his back yard and making salsa to go with. Got a few fire alarm calls from the fire department, too, thanks to the dumb **** down the street who would smell the smoke and call them. Anyway, he gave me that smoker when he moved. I used it for several years until the 'hat' gave out. Painted "Call fire department" on the hat so they would know not to respond when **** (sorry, she really was bad) would call them, because as the FD informed us, we were ok to use the smoker. That smoker lead to a new smoker that lead to a BGE. Love them ALL!
  • Whew !  From the title, I thought another dog had died.  This is much happier. 

:)>-

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious