Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mad max and the wine?

So i'm doing a turkey for xmas of course and the mad max recipie says to  pour wine over the bird before cooking will this inhibit a crispy skin and is it necessary to do this?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
·

Comments

• Wine won't hurt the browning son. They come out with a great colour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • DO NOT put the other 1/2 of the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste and add more to suite your taste.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,872
    I read that wrong...I thought you meant whine...like in "why aren't we going to Florida?"
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • BigWingsBigWings Posts: 111

DO NOT put the other 1/2 of the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste and add more to suite your taste.

Amen to that. I just tried this out and it was my only regret about the whole Mad Max experience. A little less wine in the gravy and it would have been perfect.

You can never have too much alcohol, or too much gravy, but can have too much alcohol in your gravy!

New Brunswick, Canada

·
  • I'm also following the Mad Max Turkey and Gravy recipe and process for Christmas. At 325 degrees, as suggested by Mad Max, can anyone help me with how many minutes per pound? I understand the desired temperature but I'd like a guide for planning purposes. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • @fishlessman did a poll a few years back and it was between 12 and 15 minutes per pound

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 617
    Wine won't hurt the browning son. They come out with a great colour.

LS, what do you mean by it will help the colour? I've done a few turkeys and as we all know, the skin gets pretty brown from the smoke. Will the wine help it be more golden, or deepen the colour even further?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,706
    Yeah my gravy was too sweet from the wine. Less is more
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,891
    Great advice...my gravy was too winey as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • DO NOT put the other 1/2 of the wine in the gravy. Start with 1/2 cup, taste and add more to suite your taste.
    This was my only feedback from the thanksgiving crowd.  Turkey, great, gravy, not so much
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
    ·
  • Thanks for the posts - I'm also doing the Mad Max turkey for Christmas dinner and these were helpful.  Especially the tip on not putting too much wine in the gravy.

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
    ·
  • Make sure you are using the right wine. A Reisling or Moscato is way too sweet. Try a Pinot Grigio or a Chardonnay. I followed Max's recipe to a T on the gravy using Pinot Grigio and it was awesome.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
    ·
  • glc203glc203 Posts: 40
    Agree. The amount of the wine will depend on the type. I've used a Chardonnay and half a bottle was fine. But it would be smart to start small and add to taste.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,545
    edited December 2013
    I did the Mad Max at Thanksgiving, ended up putting all of the wine (a dry Finger Lakes white blend) into the dripping pan to keep replenished.  I also cooked the neck, innards, and herbs into stock which went into the gravy..When it was all over, it was the best gravy I have made.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·