Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Cooking Time

Options
Plan on doing a 10lb bone in prime rib and wondering what the general rule of thumb is for cook time? I plan on indirect at 300 dome temp then a reverse sear. Anyone have an idea? I see lots of posts with different methods but not sure how long each one takes
Rochester Hills, MI

Comments

• brianwdmn
    Options
    Cooking to a temperature instead of time is preferred. Do you have a remote probe thermometer?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • RLP443
    RLP443 Posts: 24
    Options
    Yeah I have a maverick. Just trying to get within 30 min or so of dinner time
    Rochester Hills, MI
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    To be safe, plan on 3 hours minimum. Slower is better as there will be more of the roast done to the temperature you want. Even if it's done at 2 hours you'll want time for resting prior to carving.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Approx. 1.75 hours. Since it cooks from the outside to the center, not the ends to the middle. The length is not relevant.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • RLP443
    RLP443 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks all! One more question
    Should I cut the bones off then tie it or leave whole?
    Rochester Hills, MI
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Cutting off the bones has advantages, but it adds complexity. The biggest advantage is more surface area for seasoning. It also makes handling the finished roast easier. Internal temperature should be around 120 before you begin the rest period. In 30 minutes it will rise to at least 135 when you cover it loosely with foil.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    25 minutes a pound for rare @ 250*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    I cooked my bone -in rib roast for 3 hrs indirect at 225.   It reached about 120 and I upped the temp to 350 direct for about 15 more minutes turning from side to side to reach 130-135  and form a crust.   Length of roast does not really matter for cooking time just the diameter.  I had 2 5-lb roasts.  I also did not rest it as I have been reading more about that being unnecessary if you cook to temperature and believe me this was plenty juicy.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Did you use a plate setter then remove it to go direct?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options

Temp is the way to go for doneness, but time is always a multitude of variables. You can cook till done and then tent or even wrap with tinfoil. When ready to serve put under broiler and heat for 10 mins or until outside crisps back up. It will be tasty!

Bone or on: Either way works fine. If you want to sear your roast on all 4 sides you have to cut the bones off, sear the meat all 4 sides and then tie the meat back on the bones and roast it with the bones on the bottom. Then when you are done you can take it out, let it rest under tinfoil for an hour and then put it in a broiler for 10 minutes to crisp up the outside to slice and serve.

I like it with the bone on. I loose all manners by the time I get to the bone and like to pick it up and knaw on it. Tasty!

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I prefer to leave the bones on remove them after. I never understood why people cut them off and tie them back? If your cutting them off prior to cooking why not just reserve the bones and have beef ribs a later time and cook the roast boneless? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I prefer to leave the bones on remove them after. I never understood why people cut them off and tie them back? If your cutting them off prior to cooking why not just reserve the bones and have beef ribs a later time and cook the roast boneless? 
    Those who tie them back prefer to have a natural rack for the roast, but like the easy carve with a boneless roast. I leave 'em off and use them for au jus/beef broth. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!