Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DUMBO GUMBO

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Some friends went to New Orleans for T-Day and brought me back some tasso, What to do? Dumb question!

Dumbo Gumbo

INGREDIENTS:
4 Cups Celery, Diced Small
1 Cup Bell Pepper, Red and Yellow (Seeded and Diced Small) Green will also work.
3-4 Cups Onions, Chopped Large
1 Cup Carrots, Diced
3-4 Bunches Scallions, Sliced Small
1 Lbs. Okra, Sliced
5-6 Tbs Garlic, Chopped
1/2 Lbs Andouille Sausage, (Cut in 1/4 length wise and then 1/4 in. pieces)
1/2 Lbs Tasso, cubed (this is a Louisiana sausage that is loaded with seasoning -- you may need to get this at your specialty meats stores)
1/2 Lbs Bacon, Diced
1/2 Lbs Conecuh Smoked Sausage, cut in half length wise and the into 1/2 inch pieces.
4-6 Cups Turkey, Cooked, Chopped (1 in. pieces)
10-12 Cups Turkey/Chicken Stock
2-3 Tbs Creole Seasoning
2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
1 Can Rotel, Hot ( Optional )
1 28 Ozs Can Crushed Tomatoes
2 Cups Uncooked Rice- prepare per instructions. I like Basmati or Jasmine.
File, to serve
Roux
1/2-3/4 Cup Oil, Peanut or Canola
3/4-1 Cup Flour
Equiptment:
1 9 Qt Dutch Oven
Handful Apple Wood small chunks

PROCEDURE:

1. I did all the preliminary cooking on the stove. ESPECIALLY the roux to control the temperature. After all was assembled and brought to a boil, it was them placed on the BGE.

2. In a heavy bottom Dutch oven/stock pot saute in cooking oil (olive not recommended because of flavor) celery, bell peppers, onions, carrots and garlic until softened.

3. Remove and then sauté sausage.

4. Drain the sauteed sausage:

5. Next make the roux in the pot. When ready Slowly add some hot broth. and the rest of the ingredients. Some of the okra and broth may have to be added after an hour or so as there will be more room.. If you want hot add the Rotel the last hour.image

6. After the roux and some broth are in the pot toss all the meat and veggies in the pool. CAREFUL not to burn yourself!

Let simmer 2-3 hours until okra is mush.

Roux

1. If doing the roux in a separate pot:--In the dutch oven or a heavy duty skillet, cast iron works best, heat up the oil slowly and whisk in the flour a 1/4 at a time. Bring heat up and whisk constantly. Careful not to burn. if it burns start over, a cheap investment. It will get to the color of peanut butter or a new shiney copper penny, 10-15 minutes. Mix 1/4 cup or so to the rest of the pot and stir slowly BE CAREFUL, THE HOT ROUX MAY SPLATTER. Stir slowly and let simmer for 2-3 hours or so, stir often as the gumbo may stick to the bottom and burn if left unattended. Enjoy!

Cooking:

1. BGE Set up: Grate on top of Fire ring, direct, 350°F, Cook with some smoke, I used apple. Stir every hour or so for 3-4 hours. May need to add more broth or so!

2. This particular batch I put on at 7PM and shut down the BGE at 11:30 PM, leaving the pot in until 5 AM. Great flavor.

3. Place in a serving bowl, over rice works for some, and then add a little file. Enjoy !!!

Recipe Type: Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Poultry

Source
Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2013/12/20

Richard Melbooooring Fl.

Comments