Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast Fatty & Gingerbread/Pig Candy House

I cooked up a breakfast fatty for a birthday potluck at work. I described it as like a breakfast burrito but substitute sausage for tortilla.
Process for this was as follows:
-precook any fillings that need to be cook ahead (bacon trimmings & eggs for this cook)
-put a 1 lb sausage chub (Jimmy Dean Maple this time) into a 1 gal ziplock bag and roll flat
-cut open the edges of the bag to get access to the sausage
-I flipped the sausage onto my Frogmat (food safe silicone cooking mat) for ease of handling as the sausage is really thin and fragile
-top sausage with fillings (eggs, bacon, diced green chiles, shredded cheese) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos -roll up and press edges of sausage together for a good seal
-cook on Egg until IT of sausage reads 160+ (this went about 50 mins at 300-325 with a little peach wood smoke) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos -Slice and serve Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Now the reason I had bacon trimmings for the fatty was I had made a couple of bacon weaves and trimmed the edges to make nice clean edges for some Pig Candy roofing "panels". Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos My team entered a Gingerbread house competition at work and asked me to incorporate some BBQ so the pig candy roofing and shutters was my contribution to the project. Unfortunately, the house didn't win but my team sure enjoyed the best tasting house in the event. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Oh GOD that looks good.... I don't have a mesh silicone mat like that.  Every tried it rolled in parchment paper? Or in a solid silicone cookie mat (can't imagine SWIMBO would notice)...
    I am trying to think how to replicate this without one of those mats...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I seem to recall letting it sit on the bag until transferring it to the Egg before. You just have to be very gentle with it until it firms up on the Egg. Haven't tried your ideas yet but would think they could work.
    You could also wrap the whole thing in a bacon weave but I've had mixed results with that.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I would definitely go for a slice of that along with a chunk of roof!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe