Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Prime Rib with the Outlaws

Love when the inlaws come to visit so for our Christmas weekend we were going to have prime rib, twice baked potatos, green bean casserole, corn, stawberry pretzel dessert and chocolate cake with carmel frosting. Prime rib was 14.2 pounds with 2inch lip from Sams at 7.98 per pound. After trimming the hard fat and other stuff off we had just over 10.5 pounds. Tied it up and dusted with a blend of chicago steak seasoning that I ground up finer in my spice grinder after wet aging in the fridge for 10 days.

Onto the 225 degree egg with a bottle of red wine in a drip pan @ 2:00pm

After it reached 120 degrees in the middle @ 6:30 pulled and brought inside to rest for half hour while got the egg switched to direct at 500 degrees.

Put back on and seared about 3 minutes a side to crust up the outside. Rub got a little dark but had a really nice flavor and char grill taste. Beautiful at 131 degrees.

Dipped a few peoples slice into some simmering AuJus as they like it a little more done than the rest of us.

Side shot, left it a tad longer on one side as I was trying to locate my pan. :(

Plated up with all the fixins.

Really had a nice visit and it is always amazing how fast the time goes. Hope everyone as a wonderful Christmas!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Oh man that looks awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @weberwho? Thanks, need to get my own fridge so I can try dry aging

NW IA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks perfect
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • @henappke Thanks...... tender enough to cut with a fork

NW IA

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2013
    Glad you posted . That prime rib looks awsome. Hope mine looks as good !

This is the exact same cook I'm going to try on Christmas day.
    It appears that you cut off the tail before you tied the roast .
    Is this correct ?
    Did you remove any for steaks , or did you cook the entire roast ? How many people and how many left overs ?

My ribeye from Sam's is just shy of 15 lbs . I have 8 adults , 3 teenagers, and 2 kids eating . We will have lots of fixings also. Debating on how much of this roast to cook ?

Thanks
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited December 2013
    fairchase said:
    Glad you posted . That prime rib looks awsome. Hope mine looks as good !

This is the exact same cook I'm going to try on Christmas day.
    It appears that you cut off the tail before you tied the roast .
    Is this correct ?
    Did you remove any for steaks , or did you cook the entire roast ? How many people and how many left overs ?

My ribeye from Sam's is just shy of 15 lbs . I have 8 adults , 3 teenagers, and 2 kids eating . We will have lots of fixings also. Debating on how much of this roast to cook ?

Thanks
    @fairchase thanks, Cut the lip off and any hard fat and slimy stuff, not sure what you mean by the rail but all the fat I cut off was about 4 pounds. Cooked the entire roast for 6 adults and 3 kids (2, 2, and 5) had at least four large servings left over. If it were me I would definitely cook the entire thing as leftovers are good! Depends how much you have but three of the slices I cut were probably 2" thick! 

NW IA

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Makes me hungry- I need to find an occasion to make another one of these
    Greensboro, NC
  • How about Festivus!

NW IA

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2013
    Time for the airing of grievances! :))
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

• @fairchase thanks, Cut the lip off and any hard fat and slimy stuff, not sure what you mean by the rail but all the fat I cut off was about 4 pounds. Cooked the entire roast for 6 adults and 3 kids (2, 2, and 5) had at least four large servings left over. If it were me I would definitely cook the entire thing as leftovers are good! Depends how much you have but three of the slices I cut were probably 2" thick! 
    Sorry about that . Some refer to the lip and the tail as the same thing. This is what I did.
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Looks tremendous!! Any smoke on it?
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • @Kruegs Thanks, no smoke just charcoal and natural egg flavor.

NW IA

• Wow you nailed it great job! Have a merry christmas !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • @Charleaneri Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and family as well!

NW IA