Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook for an egg fest?

Options
My buddy just called today and said that a local dealer here in central PA, The Kitchen Shoppe is hosting an egg fest in April. He told the owner that we'd cook. What to cook?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dessert. ..Everybody cooks something else. Also, be sure to cook your liver
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    +1 henapple dessert always a winner
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Good tips guys
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Depends on how long it will last - how many eggs will be cooking - how many folks (like in public) are expected to attend to sample the foods - will this be a free event? 

BTW this year will be the 13th annual Eggfest in Peoria IL. At our first one I only egged and served one item...last year I fixed and served 7 different ones.

One last point to consider - is this a true eggfest or is your dealer just wanting a demo cook? If so...then ask him to spring for the food as it isn't cheap to feed a bunch of folks! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @RRP good points. My first thought was the cost of the food. I'll find out more info in the coming months. I was kind of thinking that if I could get 2 eggs that I could do a chili in the DO and maybe some ribs. Also thought it would be cool to smoke some bacon at home them fry it up at the fest.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    As you get details let me know. I'm only 30 minutes from the Kitchen Shoppe and would love to cook.
    Options
    Will do @Tjcoley. It's not even on their site yet. My buddy bought his egg there and was in for some supplies. Dan told him when he stopped in.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Some other questions for you:

Is it a People's Choice format and if so, do you have an idea of what prizes are up for grabs or how important is it to you to win?

If it is a PC event and you're in it to win it be prepared to buy a lot of food, cook lots of tasty food, and serve lots of folks.

Besides cooking and serving what do you want to get out of the fest (Do you want eat a lot? Do you want to meet and socialize with a bunch of folks?)

If you don't want to cook and serve the entire fest and want to sample others food, limit the items you cook or include some slower cooking items so you can walk & eat around while something cooks. The risk of cooking slower cook items like ribs is people could be full or had enough meat by the time you're ready to serve. Desserts are very popular towards the end of the fest when folks have had meat overload.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cook something you can prep ahead of time. Ribs might be to long of a cook depending on how many eggs/cooks. Your could be cooked and warmed on the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN