Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question

Options
I'm a brand new owner and I'm itchin' to get this thing going...if I cook in 20-30 degree weather do I risk cracking my brand new medium Egg?  Gonna do a couple of birds Friday then my first (turbo) butt on Saturday!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Outside temperature does not make any difference to the egg. I often grill in the winter month at well below zero. Wind, rain and temperature makes no difference to the egg. Have fun and make sure you post pictures of your cooks.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TexianFool
    Options
    Hello...

I, too, am a newbie.

Was wondering, what would be a good thing to cook for our first "Egg" experience?

Thanks...
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

Try a pork tenderloin or center-cut loin.  I've found them to be really hard to mess up.  It gives you the opportunity to play with temps for a while and a 3 hour cook isn't as overwhelming as a overnight low and slow. 

I hope you're as pleasantly surprised as I was with how forgiving the egg can be!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    biggus22 said:
    I'm a brand new owner and I'm itchin' to get this thing going...if I cook in 20-30 degree weather do I risk cracking my brand new medium Egg?  Gonna do a couple of birds Friday then my first (turbo) butt on Saturday!

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome aboard! Cold will cause you no problem. I have even egged when the thermometer was a minus 11 degrees!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Hello...

I, too, am a newbie.

Was wondering, what would be a good thing to cook for our first "Egg" experience?

Thanks...
    Welcome aboard also! Chicken is always a good first time attempt as you will soon learn how forgiving your egg is.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

As long as you have a drink in hand to keep you warm.

My first cook was chicken thighs and creamed spinach and my second was spatchcock chicken. Chicken is pretty forgiving and cheap. Make sure you have a trusty thermometer with you, as well. Always cook to temp, not time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Chicken and bacon I do the for company a lot. Chicken with goat & cream cheese and Candy Jalapeños. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    That looks Dyno-Mite @Mickey!! OT but did you end up going to that game after all?

Rowlett, Texas

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Hello...

I, too, am a newbie.

Thanks...
    Rib roasts are easy any you'll impress everyone who tastes it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey
    Options
    Griffin said:
    That looks Dyno-Mite @Mickey!! OT but did you end up going to that game after all?
    No. Gave all the tickets away. Tooooooo damn cold for me and the outcome was not in doubt.

• Griffin
    Options
    And I wasn't on your list?? :((

Rowlett, Texas

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!! Cold weather = no big deal!! Like others said chicken is always a safe first cook I would suggest if you have time that you do a dry run burn Meaning no food Load the egg with lump, get it burning clean and then play with the temp. I would start low say 250-275 and every hour bump it 50-100*. This will really help you learn how to achieve a stabilized fire and how to adjust temp during a cook. Make mental notes or even write it down where your vents are set for each different temp once it is locked in. And remember small adjustment make big differences in temps.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Whatever your first cook, be sure to calibrate the dome thermometer, have a way to measure the temperature of your meat (Thermopen, Maverick, Polder, etc.) and cook to temperature.   Also, be sure to get the temp stabilized and let the white smoke clear before putting your food on the egg.  Get these right and success is almost guaranteed. 

BTW, a center cut pork loin, coated with rub, and cooked to 145 will get rave reviews
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Options
    Griffin said:
    And I wasn't on your list?? :((

Man I am SORRY Griff. On Thur after checking with neighbors I went over to the customer service wait area and offered them free to anyone. Got a young man that wanted to go ( made him give a blood oath not to sell them) and away they went. I am so sorry, would have/could have overnight end them to you.

• Griffin
    Options
    Thats ok. Just giving you a hard time. I was offered a ticket at 9:30 the night before. Didn't feel like freezing and the wife told me I couldn't go to another game with out her anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

• biggus22
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome and great suggestions.  @mattman3969 I will definitely do the dry run burn and try to calibrate my dome.  I purchased a BGE brand remote thermometer so we'll see what happens.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Calibrate the dome thermometer with boiling water - 212 deg..  Should be instructions with your egg.

Also, I believe if you are going to light the grill, you should put some food on it.  If you want to play with controlling the temps, something like a stew in a dutch oven is pretty forgiving!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Along with all the good info above, here's a great ceramic cooker reference site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm give it a look when you get a chance.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • biggus22
    Options
    Ok - I know I'm obliged to post pics, so here we are.  Chickens came out just fine despite the fact that I had trouble keeping the temp up (I think the grate was too crowded and prevented air flow).  Meat fell right off the bones.

For my second cook on the new egg I went all out and tried a turbo butt.  Temp got away from me in the beginning but I stabilized her and we ended up with a tremendous meal and plenty of confidence for the real cook on Christmas Eve.  Butt was 6.75 pounds, went on at 610a, hit 160 around 9a, then foiled it, about another hour until 190 IT then she went into the cooler.  Absolutely delicious first butt.  Thanks, everyone for your help and comments!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    All looks great..
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Your on the right track, everything looks fantastic. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Options
    Can't fool us, you're no newbie ! Looks great !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama