Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

out of lump

The place where I usually get RO lump was sold out...but they have plenty of RO briquettes. I read an article that said there was very little difference and suggested that considering cost per lb and consistancy in size and volume that briquettes may be the better way to go. From what i have read here though it seems that lump is more popular.

Any one have any experiences with briquettes that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• I would go buy Cowboy lump or anything else I could find before I would even think about briquettes in my egg
  • fairchase said:

I would go buy Cowboy lump or anything else I could find before I would even think about briquettes in my egg

Thanks. ..can you help me understand why?

• I never have put briquettes in my grill and hopefully never will.  But if push comes to shove, as long as they aren't Match Light, or some other kind of briquette that has the lighter fluid built in they probably won't hurt anything besides having a bunch more ash then lump.  
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Have you checked Home Depot?  They have started carrying RO in the red bags.  Bought a 16 pound bag today for $12

henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's my understanding that briquettes have chemical products that might taint the egg. Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Way to much ash .
    Once briquettes ash over temps go down pretty quick making it harder to get the temp control you can achieve with lump .
    Also after briquettes have been choked down they will not go back to red lava as soon as you open the vents back up .
  • Thanks for the feedback...I will pass on them then...There are a few other places I can check. ..just the place close was out...

@henapple, I'm in central IA
  • Tjcoley said:

Have you checked Home Depot?  They have started carrying RO in the red bags.  Bought a 16 pound bag today for $12

@tj I will check...but the stuff I saw in the red bag was RO briquettes...With no match light stuff..
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Thanks for the feedback...I will pass on them then...There are a few other places I can check. ..just the place close was out... @henapple, I'm in central IA

Where in IA?  I've shipped a few pallets of Rockwood up there.  Might be able to hook you up with those guys if they have any extra bags.  Email me.

• Thx stl...I'll check a few more places tomorrow if we don't get snowed in...I hit you up if I need to look at the shipping route...
  • I sent you a PM Mike with a few other ideas without knowing exactly where you are. 

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Sorry..my auto sig seems to have dropped off...I am on Pleasant Hill, just east of Des Moines...thanks
  • RO is sold on amazon.com  sometimes can get a good deal.  got 17.6# for 12.50.  Got 3 bags.  Now price went up.  But you can get the 8.8# bags for similar price from wallyworld
  • I would start searching all the Lowes for some mislabeled bags of Lump. Once you find some ... buy every bag they have.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Lol...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I shipped a pallet near Des Moines.......Ames?  If that close enough, I can forward you contact info to that gentleman.  He might have a few bags to spare.  Let me know if you're interested.

• Yep, Ames is about 30 min away...I'll reach out if I come up empty.
  • Yep, Ames is about 30 min away...I'll reach out if I come up empty.

Mike, Prairie Ag in Prairie City is a BGE dealer and always has BGE brand on hand if nothing else is available.  Much closer than Ames and about the same price if you figure the gas in.  They might have other brands of charcoal, but I never checked just buy my Eggs there from Kevin and Tom.  Great guys.  Tell them Dave from Cedar Rapids said HI!

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I'm not sure if you have an Academy Sports in your area, but I've been using B&B Hickory Lump from them with good success.  20 pound bag for about $14.00.  They also have big bags of mini logs of apple and mesquite wood.
  • Check Menards as they generally always carry RO in Green bags. Then in the spring watch for the sale at 4 - 5 per pound and this last spring you got an additional $2 mail in rebate. You can buy enough to last the year and never have to worry.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Briquettes are fine as long as they don't have any lighter fluid in them. They aren't as good as lump and you can't reuse them but there is nothing in them that would be bad for your egg. They don't burn as hot and they are ashy as hell but they will get the job done in an emergency.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Check Menards as they generally always carry RO in Green bags. Then in the spring watch for the sale at 4 - 5 per pound and this last spring you got an additional $2 mail in rebate. You can buy enough to last the year and never have to worry.
    Just had a Menards open near us.  What's the difference with the RO in the Green bags?  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Thanks for all the feedback...I usually get the 8.8 lbs green bags of RO at Menards but the one by me was out...I found a 17.5 lbs red bags at Home Depot...so I am in good shape...

No Academy Sports in my area :(

From what i can tell there is no difference between the red and green bags.