Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump and bb ribs

Emptied the firebox to try some Rockwood and threw on 3 racks o ribs. Baby backs were on sale so I'm going with them. Loveless Cafe rub. Almost forgot to pull the skin ....I never do on St Louis.

Also saw 2 lumps at publix..anyone use these?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• let us know what you think of the Lump 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have tried the BBQ Wood Flavors.  The first bag I had was terrible.  I wasn't planning on buying it again, but I was low so I asked my wife to pick up some lump and she came home with another bag. This bag is actually not too bad.  I wouldn't go out of my way to get it...I would compare it to cowboy if you have ever tried that.  

Haven't tried the Western. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    so you cook?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have tried Rockwood recently and really like it due to the fact that there is very little VOC's to burn off prior to cooking. This saves me 45 minutes time over using Royal Oak. I do have a question about Rockwood though. It seems to me, and this isn't very scientific, that is burns more quickly than Royal Oak. Has anyone else noticed this? I think I might be hard pressed to do a very long low and slow cook using Rockwood, but I can't wait to try it!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey said:

so you cook?

Every now and then.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    tulocay said:
    I have tried Rockwood recently and really like it due to the fact that there is very little VOC's to burn off prior to cooking. This saves me 45 minutes time over using Royal Oak. I do have a question about Rockwood though. It seems to me, and this isn't very scientific, that is burns more quickly than Royal Oak. Has anyone else noticed this? I think I might be hard pressed to do a very long low and slow cook using Rockwood, but I can't wait to try it!

Rockwood has a high carbon content, so there's less wood/VOCs to burn through to get it where you want it (the trade off is that it's brittle and breaks down faster.)  So, theoretically, it should last for less time than another brand that has a lower carbon content.  However.......

With burn time, I can go 30 hrs in a Large BGE at 225-250F if I start with it all the way to the top of the fire ring.  The Naked Whiz said that Rockwood was one of the longest burning charcoals he ever reviewed.  If you're grilling vs. smoking, the much higher temps will burn through 10-20lbs a lot quicker.  The good news is, you're probably not going to have anything on those lava temps for very long!

As you probably know with lump, every bag is different no matter whose name is on the bag.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I cook on at least one of my XLs every night.  Rockwood is great for me at all temps and has very little ash.  I've done 24 hour low and slows and used less than half of the lump.  I like it a lot.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Just picked up yesterday 10 bags of Rockwood from a group purchase here in the Houston area. Will try it out on Saturday but based on all I have heard, it is going to be top notch.

@henapple - how did your ribs turn out?

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Stlcharcoal - thanks for the info on a Rockwood. I'm looking forward to my first low and slow with it. All of my experience has been with 'grilling' temps on the egg. Love the product!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    @Springram. ..still on.
  • stlcharcoal
    tulocay said:

Stlcharcoal - thanks for the info on a Rockwood. I'm looking forward to my first low and slow with it. All of my experience has been with 'grilling' temps on the egg. Love the product!

Yeah, if your going lid open or "lava temps" you'll go through it pretty quick. You really need something to throttle it down, because with an in regulated amount of oxygen, it will really let loose.

For open air grills like in a park, I always recommend using a lot less charcoal than normal, then adding it if you need more. Same goes in the egg, if you're going to be grilling in the 400-500 range--fill about 1/2 to 3/4 up the fire box, but definitely below the fire ring.
  • tulocay said:
    I just completed a 20hour cook with the rockwood with 40# of butts on my LBGE... i think you are right but it still has the ability to last if you dont open lid every 5 min.... I also quit using my HIGH Que fire grate when doing long cooks because that definitely contributes to the faster burn rate
    Beaufort, SC
  • @henapple - You mentioned you do not remove the membrane from St Louis ribs. Do you think that the ribs retain more moisture by not removing it? I would love to skip this step. Please further encourage me!

Hope your ribs turned out great yesterday.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • stlcharcoal

I just completed a 20hour cook with the rockwood with 40# of butts on my LBGE... i think you are right but it still has the ability to last if you dont open lid every 5 min.... I also quit using my HIGH Que fire grate when doing long cooks because that definitely contributes to the faster burn rate

A High-Que or our fire grate shouldn't make a difference on lump consumption during long cooks.  The draft door and daisy wheel should limit the airflow, so the whoever's grate your using only gets the little amount allowed through the door.  I would recommend switching back since you're risking getting the fire snuffed out if that charcoal settles and clogs the stock grate.

• henapple
    @Springram. ..The first time I cooked Sr Louis style I forgot to pull the skin but it didn't affect the taste or texture so I don't do it anymore. I really like the uniformity of them being the same size. I usually get a better consistency.
  •  

A High-Que or our fire grate shouldn't make a difference on lump consumption during long cooks.  The draft door and daisy wheel should limit the airflow, so the whoever's grate your using only gets the little amount allowed through the door.  I would recommend switching back since you're risking getting the fire snuffed out if that charcoal settles and clogs the stock grate.

what i meant was I prefer the stock grate because it doesnt light all the lump and get so hot so quick when i leave dw and dd open to get up temp....its more forgiving 
    Beaufort, SC
  •  

@stlcharcoal - I agree totally regarding switching out from the High-Q grate. Just use the draft door and daisy wheel.

By the way, @stlcharcoal , opened up and using my first of 10 bags of Rockwood charcoal today. Simply wonderful stuff.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I've seen that lump at publix too but never pulled the trigger on it. Did you buy any?
    Dunedin, FL
  • stlcharcoal
    what i meant was I prefer the stock grate because it doesnt light all the lump and get so hot so quick when i leave dw and dd open to get up temp....its more forgiving 

Gotcha, yeah once the temp gets too high, it's a bear to get it back down.

What I'll do is light the lump that is already in the BGE, or fill it about 1/3 full.  I'll let that run for 5-10 minutes, then fill it the rest of the way.  By the time I get the plate setter, drip pans, temp controller, and meat set up it's usually about 150F when I close the lid.  Then I let the blower take it from there.

• henapple
    @yzzi. ..no, I'm stocked.