Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what would cause my Egg thermometer to be off by 150 degrees?

Options
I calibrated it probably 9 months or so ago.  Just re-calibrated and it didn't even reach 100F in boiling water!  No wonder my last cook was ruined. I normally don't even look at it but I didn't bother getting out the Maverick this last time.  Big mistake as I scorched the crap out of my first attempt at the faux cochon de lait recipe. I don't see how it could get so far off.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Did you wrap it around during a sear or pizza cook?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Analog instruments can drift but yours is way out there-if it recalibrated just fine then I have no idea why it was so far off.  I check mine before every low&slow and seldom have it off by more than around 5*F, if that.  @DMW has a good question above that may help.  I'm guessing your BGE thermo is the Tel-Tru model...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Huh, that makes sense.  I did accidentally let it go wide open for way too long, I believe it did go all the way around.  I just figured it would come back down.  That's probably it then.  Thanks.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    @lousubcap it is the Tel-Tru
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    May have been a mechanical problem - do you still use the spring clip on the inside on the probe? If so and you turn the thermometer either on purpose or accidentally that will throw it out of calibration. My suggestion is throw that spring clip in the trash - you don't need it as gravity will keep the thermometer in the dome!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jls9595
    Options
    RRP said:
    May have been a mechanical problem - do you still use the spring clip on the inside on the probe? If so and you turn the thermometer either on purpose or accidentally that will throw it out of calibration. My suggestion is throw that spring clip in the trash - you don't need it as gravity will keep the thermometer in the dome!
    That is another possibility, most likely its some of both which threw it off so much.  I will get rid of the clip then, I know I am always turning the thermometer to get it right side up.  May have been inadvertently "adjusting" it this whole time. Thanks.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!