Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck AR

If you use beer cans as an AR, you must be a redneck. Wanted to get higher in the dome for a direct coffee rubbed turkey for the Christmas Party tonight.  These are holding so far - cut a little notch in then so they would stay on the fire ring.  Keep your fingers crossed. Sure hope Santa is good to me this year.imageimageimage
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Those look like aluminum.  Seems the fire would melt them down.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I know the ar is expensive but i swear it is completely worth it! get the whole setup for so many options and combos for cooking
    Beaufort, SC
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Those look like aluminum.  Seems the fire would melt them down.
    You scared me VI - I looked on the net and they say the melting point of an aluminum can is 1220 degrees F.  They are still holding.  I hope an AR is in the big square box that my wife has in her closet so that I can move up to the big leagues.
    Milton, GA.
  • You won't be disappointed. When I finally broke down and got one it completely changed the game for me and my cooks. So many more options.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • flynnbob said:
    Those look like aluminum.  Seems the fire would melt them down.
    You scared me VI - I looked on the net and they say the melting point of an aluminum can is 1220 degrees F.  They are still holding.  I hope an AR is in the big square box that my wife has in her closet so that I can move up to the big leagues.
    Gosh Bob.  I read it somewhere on the Internet, so it must be true.   :-B

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Abe Lincoln said 69% of quotes and facts on the internet are true and not completely made up. Who doesn't trust Honest Abe??
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • flynnbob
    Cook is already done.  90 min - 180 in the thigh - almost too easy. Best of all, my redneck AR did not melt!imageimage
    Milton, GA.
  • I think you have the temps right, so the inter-webs were fairly accurate. I used the same set-up with some stainless steel exhaust pipe I had lying around, worked just fine. 
    I found fire bricks to be more stable and one brick can be cut into three pieces, pretty simple solution for <4$. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127

that's even better than my solution but most of my beverages come in glass...

I used four stainless steel bolts that I had in the garage along with eight nuts and washers, works perfectly!

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Hey that ain't a redneck adjustable rig. that's a redneck woo.  Ya need to add some tallboys along side the other cans to make it a redneck multil level rig.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I used firebrick for awhile and then got the PSWoo

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• We have used beer cans....must be a  red neck, oops, I can't be cause I live in Keep it Weird Texas.  
    Your cook looks very tasty.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • flynnbob
    The cook came out great,  I put the legs and thigh back on afterward for a few more minutes.  Everything is carved up and ready.  I bet the turkey will be the first to go at the party. Flynn (the dog) loved the scraps as I was carving on the meat slicer.  We live in Georgia so yeah, we are official rednecks although transplanted.
    Milton, GA.