Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork help

Options
I got a good deal on three pork shoulders,about 3 31/2 pounds each was just wondering how long to cook for? I would like to cook at 275-300! And what temp do i pull it off ( gonna foil towel cooler)?thanks! ;;)

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I just cooked a total of 8 pork shoulders (bone in) over the past week for work parties. My two cents is to buy bone in pork shoulders when you can.

I have been won over by the turbo method. I found no difference between smoking a butt for 17 hours at 235 vs 6 hrs at 360 on the DigiQ. So I would go for ~350-360 and cook until done.

As far as what's done, I used to go until 190-195. Then I "screwed up" and let one go to 205. Well 205 was much better. Fell apart like melted butter and much easier to pull. 

With a higher temp you do get a tougher bark, but I like that. 

Good luck.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I should have mentioned that the best thing you could do for yourself smoking pork butts is to buy a DigiQ. It is a little miracle machine on the egg.

One thing though it to store it inside. I kept mine in outdoor storage. The other morning I fired up the egg and it was -15F. The fan was frozen so had to go manual. No fun. After that, I stored the DigiQ in the garage and it worked fine, even in cold weather.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• daffy1909
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will do the turbo method! I like the bark too! Cook at 350 till 200-205. Am I looking at about an hour per pound? Roughly?
  • Springram
    Options
    The turbo method works like a charm for me. I am a total "Mickey" cooker. 

I find that warmed over pulled pork does not taste as good as the first day....any recommendations?

Just wife and I so always have too much.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Springram, amen to that! I have tried all sorts of ways to reheat pulled pork, but it is just not the same. Saucepan with and without sauce, microwave, Coke (the absolute worst method I've tried), wrap in foil in the oven... none come even close to fresh off the grid. 

Finally tried steaming. Believe it or not, that seems to come closest, for me anyway. I use one of those stainless collapsable steamers that fit in a saucepan. Still not as good, but the best I've come up with. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Springram, try vacuum sealing and then reheating in boiling water, just get the water hot then drop in pouch of BBQ I have found this works great.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Springram
    Options
    @piney - I keep thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. 

Thanks for the advice.

@Carolina Q - I made pulled pork nachos that I thought were OK. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • myates1982
    Options
    I second the turbo method. 350 till done. FTC for atleast an hour before you serve if possible.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options

Invite friends to eat!
    Only two people to eat is the best reason for small pieces of meat. Four pounds seems to last a long time. The best I have found is to wrap in foil with apple or other juice. Heat in oven at 250 until warm. Do not warm more than will be eaten at one meal.
    No it is not as good as the first night still warm off the egg.
    Bob

Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    +1 on vacuum seal and boiling water.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.