Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small butt question

Options
Just finished my Christmas (are we still allowed to say that?) grocery shopping,ande the store had a few small boneless picnic shoulder roasts. I grabbed a roughly 2.5 pounder for a nice easy snack leading up to Christmas. Now, I've done the big boys before, but am curious if I need to do anything different with a lil' guy with no bone. Am I at risk of not getting the bark since it won't really be in that long, even low and slow?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have seen them done on Mini's and had bark
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for...I haven't done any smaller than around 4#'s but depending on the cook temp they can take quite a while to cook (I've seen better than 2 hrs/# at 250*F on the calibrated dome) and you will get a great bark as you have much more relative surface area.  Don't do anything different-since you are boneless let it run up to around 200*F and the FTC if you need to before pulling. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Thanks as usual gents!! Hoping I get the full pulled pork experience from it. Having the little ones may be a great alternative when I'm looking for something "quick" and delicious.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario