Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Foie Gras

Planning to make beef Wellington for Christmas Dinner. I've checked 2 butchers and neither of them carry it. The recipe in the BGE cookbook omits the Foie Gras but my buddy is a chef insists that it makes the dish. Any ideas on where I can find foie gras?
Mark Annville, PA
·

Comments

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,459
    No, but if I found it, I would saute it in bacon fat and eat it straight up.  I  wouldn't dilute Foie Gras or good whisky!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • cortguitarman   I'm sure you can get it atD'ARTAGNAN I think the web address is Dartagnan.com
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • You can use pate foie gras in a pinch. Easier to find. You could even go with a pork or chicken liver pate

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,606
    Wegmans will def have it
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    You won't find it in California they made it illegal. Love some pan seared foie gras
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • @hapster, that was my thought too. Wegman's is a 40 minute drive but my buddy lives close by and he has an egg and lots of Gentleman Jack. Okay, I'll make the trip.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • queuedqueued Posts: 50
    Pate is definitely *not* foie gras.  I love foie gras, and absolutely hate pate.  For me, at least, they taste completely different.  I'd rather get some chicken liver, slice it and then saute it.
    Raleigh, NC
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    edited December 2013
    Dude is using it in beef wellington, not serving it as a canapé. The beef is going to overpower whatever he puts in there. Pate foie gras after cooking would be almost identical in flavor. I've done wellies both ways and it would be hard to tell the difference. That's just my humble opinion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • double said:
    You won't find it in California they made it illegal. Love some pan seared foie gras

Yea, Sonoma foie farm got shut down. Hudson Valley farm in NY is the biggest and produces the best in the states. There is only one other foie producer in the US besides them I think.
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    We have some small local producers amazing stuff.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,907
    Dude is using it in beef wellington, not serving it as a canapé. The beef is going to overpower whatever he puts in there. Pate foie gras after cooking would be almost identical in flavor. I've done wellies both ways and it would be hard to tell the difference. That's just my humble opinion.
    Steven...thanks to you my friend I would have served this "stuff" to my dog years ago as I really didn't understand what this gift was!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • gmacgmac Posts: 463
    RRP said:
    Steven...thanks to you my friend I would have served this "stuff" to my dog years ago as I really didn't understand what this gift was!

If that's what you're giving to the dog, allow me to say...woof,woof.
    Mt Elgin Ontario
    ·
  • Do you guys think the foie gras is necessary in a Wellington? I really don't feel like going on a wild goose chase (no pun intended) if it isn't a must have.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 815
    Get some fine liverwurst ;)

Gerhard
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2013
    If you don't want to use foie gras then bump up the duxelles with a hearty mixture of mushrooms. Just make sure all moisture is cooked out. We have done this several times and not missed the foie gras at all.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Thanks @Austin Egghead. I saw a video of Gordon Ramsay making a Wellington without foie gras and he said the same thing about the moisture.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,459
    When I do Wellington, I use Pate which I buy at Wegman's, though any good grocery store/deli ought to have it.  If you want to kick it up a notch, make your duxelles with Morel mushrooms.  You won't find fresh, but should find them dried.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·