Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Options
14567810»

Comments

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Nope, I have seen from 3 hours up to 12. I will go as long as the little amaze burns. That's about 10 to 11 hours. In 2 hours it will be 10 hours for mine. I started at 7 am
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I am going to cold smoke too. So out of the cure, rinse well with cold water,pat dry and cold smoke. Fill the a maze n smoker all the way up and let her go till it burns all the way out. Does this sound right Cen-Tex? I have oak, hickory, maple, and cherry pellets. I was thinking about a hickory and cherry mix. What do ya think?
    That's the way I do it. Sounds good to me. I use apple but can't go wrong wight Hickory/Cherry mix
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    QDude said:
    Is there are rule of thumb concerning how long to cold smoke the cured bacon?
    No. I do it for 12-14 hours because that's how long my AMS lasts. I do it overnight and I'm too lazy to get up and remove it. I like it that way but you could cut a piece of after 4-6-8-12 hrs and see how you like it. I'm good with all the smoke it can take but others may prefer a little less. it's all personal preference
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I just pulled my pork belly from the cure.  Long story, but I had an unexpected work trip so my bacon cured for 11 days and only could flip it a few times.  To compound the problem, my foodsaver bags did not seal correctly, so I had some leakage.  I dont think this is a deal breaker, but I need some help because one of the slabs of belly has brownish patches.  They other three are nice and red all over.  Nothing smells rotten, but should I go ahead and ditch the brown slab before cold smoking?  

I tried taking some pics but it was hard to capture the difference in color, but it is very obvious when I pulled it from the cure.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I bet that brownish part is on the end where the cure soaked in. Bet you can cut back a1/4 of an inch and it will be the lighter color. 11 days is a not a deal breaker. It  probably is a bit more salty and you may need to soak for a hour. Slice off a piece after you cut the end back a 1/4 inch.
    Most likely OK. Only over by 4 days
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Ok thanks,  - i put the brown piece on top - I am not sure if it is legal, but I went meat/nut combo . . . image
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”