Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options

I have cooked this a few times in the last couple years and learned from my Grandad that always tied the PR so it was perfectly round. Is there really an advantage to doing this, I assume he always did it in effort to have it cook evenly but will it affect tenderness or anthing else. Getting ready to try a 14.5 pound reverese sear this year. Thanks in advance for the advice.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - Thanks

NW IA

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options

Sure sounds like a good idea.  I've always cooked with the bone on so would be difficult...:-)
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options

Sure sounds like a good idea.  I've always cooked with the bone on so would be difficult...:-)
    I usually cook with the bone on as well.  I've never actually tried the "make it round" thing but it does make sense.  

On the other hand...cutting off the rib cap like he shows just doesn't seem right to me ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    His writing makes sense.  I have cut meat away from the bone and then tied the meat back onto the bone for cooking.  I might try his method this years cook.  
    Jury still out over removing the rib cap.  If i do remove the cap I will roll up and tie that too.
    Glad to see he included the bones in his cook. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ajridge35
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've got another prime rib question that some of you may know the answer to. 

I froze my prime rib b/c I saw a good one at a great price, and got it before it was too late. But, it was two weeks ago and to keep it fresh (as I don't have a fridge to dry-age it), I froze it. I plan on cooking it next Monday, its in the fridge to thaw now. Question: IS THIS OK? Will thawing a previously frozen prime rib result in bad taste or "not as good as" smoked prime rib?
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I have done this, and it turned out just fine.  I purchased a big rib roast from Costco and cut it in half.  Cooked half, froze half and cooked at a later date.  I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two.  I think I overshot my temp on the first half, so the 2nd (previously frozen) may have actually been better :)

• ajridge35
    Options
    Great to know, thank you!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @ajridge35 - never noticed much of a difference between fresh and frozen and we do it all the time. My local Safeway has bone in, cap removed AAA (choice) rib roasts on sale for $5.99/lb every three months or so. We buy two or three of them, freeze at least two. 
    The butcher will take off the bones, tie the roast for me, ready for vac-packing and freezing. 
    I use the bones to make au jus or beef broth, been years since we cooked the bones on the roast. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I got another Rib roast question - I posted this in another thread but this may be a better place for it.

The local Fairway has Angus Rib Roasts on sale for $4.99/lb (Min $75 purchase).  Their Prime Roasts are $14.99/lb.  What's the main difference besides price?  If I go the Angus roast route - how can I make it taste great,  In the past when trying "Prime" rib roasts they came out ok but not WOW.  I used salt/pepper and fresh thyme.  Cooked to 130, rested for 20 min then cut and servered.  Lacked allot of flavor.    I can try the searing method as well.  But I want good flavor or am I wasting my time with this cut of meat.

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @robnybbq, depends wether you want the taste of the meat or the taste of the seasoning. USDA Prime rib roast will be very expensive, but due to the higher fat content and marbling have much better flavor and texture (almost fork cut tender) vs a select or choice cut. I tend to stay with AAA or USDA Choice, watch for it to be on sale and stock up. I've seen Angus Select on sale in Washington State for $4.99. 
    I use a similar seasoning, rosemary rather than thyme, and 90% of the time a reverse sear. I also cook bones off, roast tied to be circular. Most rib roasts here in Western Canada are sold cap removed. 
    If you want to jazz up the crust, brush the ready to sear roast with some melted butter (maybe touch of garlic if you like that) and sear until it just starts to turn color. Careful not to burn it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    So Angus is not choice or select? 

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Angus is a breed of cow. Has nothing to do with how it's graded. Angus could be select, choice or prime if the grade is even listed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

@robnybbq-check the labeling again...It may be CAB-certified angus beef.  I believe that means it is on the higher end of choice grade and probably worth the difference in price.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Angus is a breed of cow. Has nothing to do with how it's graded. Angus could be select, choice or prime if the grade is even listed.

That is true but an angus cut will be better tasting than the same cut of most other cattle.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This is how the yare advertising it.

"USDA Angus Beef Rib Roast
    USDA Angus Beef Rib Roast

$4.97 LB

WE HAVE THE BEST VALUE ON RIB ROAST IN TOWN!!! Limit 1, with a minimum purchase of $75. Well-marbled, top-quality rib roast delivers big, beefy, luscious flavor. A celebration in itself. Roast with porcini mushrooms for tons of earthy flavor; a red wine sauce seals the deal.
    "

Their "Better Cuts"

USDA Prime Rib Roast

USDA Prime Rib Roast

$14.99 LB

You will never serve anything as majestic, celebratory, decadent, and delicious as a USDA prime rib roast.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The advertising does leave the grade of roast in the dark.  I believe they do have to have the actual grade on the packaging.  With that said, you can always buy the $75 of groceries, get one of the less expensive ones and a small prime rib cut and cook them off in a taste test banquet.  Easy for me to write as it's not my $$ but the info in the above link-(copied here) may help you out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    lousubcap - That looks great - thanks for the info.  Now to go shopping.

Garnerville, NY
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    When doing a reverse sear since I now have the roast tied up with butchers twin, do I remove the twine before searing or leave it tied up?

NW IA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

When doing a reverse sear since I now have the roast tied up with butchers twin, do I remove the twine before searing or leave it tied up?

You can leave it tied if you want.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Thanks

NW IA

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    This is a 7 bone standing rib roast that I cut 3 ribs and left bone in and boned the remaining 4 ribs and rolled and tied with the cap on. The tied one will cook more evening because of the shape. Remember it cooks from the outside of the cylinder to the middle, not from the end to the middle, so various lengths of roasts will cook in about the same time.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.