Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VERY OT: A Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots

Options

A Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots

Attributed to Jeff Foxworthy:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally — you might live in a nation that ...was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or to take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you MUST show your identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book and rent a video, but not to vote for who runs the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government wants to prevent stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If, in the nation’s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If an 80-year-old woman or a three-year-old girl who is confined to a wheelchair can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion, while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to provide incentives for not working, by granting 99 weeks of unemployment checks, without any requirement to prove that gainful employment was diligently sought, but couldn’t be found — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all plasma screen TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

What a country!

How about we give God a reason to continue blessing America!
<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    crying (1037) Animated Gif on Giphy
    !
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Stupid Vanilla!

EDIT: This is supposed to be attached to the image below.

"Lot's of red herrings and false equivalency."
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Nice.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    edited December 2013
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    BRAVO!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Sad but true!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Me likey!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Preach on brother!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    preach on. Apparently attributed to Foxworthy, but not actually written by him.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    There are many alliteration on this theme and alas, they all ring true....append your own and keep it going.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like something Rush Limbaugh would pen...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Reminds me of these things:

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    if the gubment makes it illegal to buy, make, or import 40 and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs "—you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots. "

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    If your voice is silenced by a group clamoring for equal rights, then..... Quack!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

For shame! Stealing Yodaisms! Here's one I like:

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you living in a country that rewards convicted felons with cable tv, workout facilities, free health care and our seniors get screwed on every aspect of the things promised.......
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    With all due respect to our US cousins, still that great country that shares a lifestyle and standard of living with us that is the envy of the world, despite all the seemingly idiotic decisions made and so aptly pointed out by Mickey, brings to mind a Canadian joke:
    On day six of the Creation, God announced to his archangel underlings, "Today we're creating a place called Canada, Pull out all the stops. Give it beautiful mountains, fresh water lakes by the thousands, broad plains, forests and sandy beaches. Underground, give it oil, gold etc... Oh, and plenty of wildlife and fish." 
    "Sire" interjected an archangel, aren't you being a bit overgenerous to these Canadians?"
    "Don't worry, I'll balance it out" said God, "wait until you see the neighbors I'm giving them."  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    dlk7 said:

Isn't that Gandelf from LOTR? 
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Yes. It's a comically misappropriated quote.
  • Springram
    Options
    The bad part to me is that I do not know if we can ever turn it around....

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • henapple
    Options
    I suppose every generation feels this way but I believe our best days are behind us. We've gone from people who fought wars for freedom and a group willing to give all that up for "free" stuff.

If creation can't be taught in my daughter's high school but she's required to take a class on Islam. ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:

I suppose every generation feels this way but I believe our best days are behind us. We've gone from people who fought wars for freedom and a group willing to give all that up for "free" stuff.

If creation can't be taught in my daughter's high school but she's required to take a class on Islam. ....

Two words my friend: private school. Public education is hopelessly screwed up. My kindergartener has Bible study everyday.
    Flint, Michigan
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Love this movie, but it's getting close to being the scary truth!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    henapple said:
    I suppose every generation feels this way but I believe our best days are behind us. We've gone from people who fought wars for freedom and a group willing to give all that up for "free" stuff. If creation can't be taught in my daughter's high school but she's required to take a class on Islam. ....

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • henapple
    Options
    Fred, my daughter has a great school and received a top notch education. We teach her at home the moral, fundamental truths which we believe. She had a strong youth group and surrounded herself with good friends. Our home was always the place they would hang out at. I would only consider a private school for safety's sake. We sold our home to move in this school zone. I went to a Christian school and for reasons we'll discuss in Salado I don't like them. Hell, look how I turned out.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    Fred, my daughter has a great school and received a top notch education. We teach her at home the moral, fundamental truths which we believe. She had a strong youth group and surrounded herself with good friends. Our home was always the place they would hang out at. I would only consider a private school for safety's sake. We sold our home to move in this school zone. I went to a Christian school and for reasons we'll discuss in Salado I don't like them. Hell, look how I turned out.
    I'm with you, friend. I have only heard horror stories about non-secular schools. There is no issue with public school. The issue is the parents that think public school should be doing the job of parenting for them.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Speaking in general terms (YMMV), I think public schools were once excellent. You said your daughter receivED a good education. Sadly, I think public schools are no longer in the education business. They indoctrinate.

If we disagree on this one little thing, will you still love me in the morning?
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Options
    Sure. Our county has good schools but her's consistently scores in the top 95% in the state. They have many Christian teachers.

If we're to be a light how can we take all the "good" children that do get that fundamental influence at home and take them away from where they can be an example.

I would love to see a church meet in a school (free building) and put there resources into serving the teachers and students. Helping in classes, tutoring, big brothers and sisters, etc.... I would probably go to one like that. We have start up churches here that use the schools but the first thing that they do is start a building program. Sorry, off the soap box.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Speaking in general terms (YMMV), I think public schools were once excellent. You said your daughter receivED a good education. Sadly, I think public schools are no longer in the education business. They indoctrinate.

If we disagree on this one little thing, will you still love me in the morning?

Public schools still are. It's up to parents to make sure their children get what is offered instead of treating it like a daycare.