Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with St Louis ribs

I've browsed and searched and have come up with more questions than answers. So, if you don't mind, I'm looking for your preferred method for preparing St Louis style pork ribs.

Wife prefers fall off the bone. Doesn't matter if it's got bbq sauce or not. Just looking for some clear direction.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Search this site for Car Wash Mike's rib cooking class. He used mostly baby backs but the principle is the same.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wrapping them towards the end will get you the "falling off the bone" result.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I have tried many methods until I found the simple turbo rib method around 330 to 350 indirect with PS legs pointed up. No foil. First hour bone side down, flip for another hour. At that point test for doneness and sauce if you wish. It's really foolproof. This is not a good picture but they were delicious!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    350 degrees for about one and a half hours. Then wrap and Add brown sugar or honey or butter and cook for about one hour. Pull off and sauce or not and finish all to the tenderness you desire. It will be delicious.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2013
    I get mine out of the fridge , rinse them off , pat dry , and pull the membrane off . Then liberally apply my favorite rub ( Oakridge secret weapon ) .

I then light the egg , put the plate setter in legs up with a dry drip pan . Put some washers between the plate setter and the pan.

When egg is stabilized between 270 - 290 dome I put my ribs on bone side down .

Do not open the dome for 3 1/2 hrs. At this time I check them with the bend test. Many times they are done at 3 1/2 hrs. If not I'll check them again in 30 minutes. They are always done in 4 hrs .

I have never had a bad rack of ribs done this way .

To me foil = mush and I don't like mushy ribs .
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830

If you smoked babyback ribs, you can do st. louis ribs.   The cook is basically the same, just longer as st. louis ribs are slightly bigger.  Depending on method, maybe 2 hours longer at most.  Best way to tell if ribs are done is pull on the bones and see if the meat separates slightly from the bones.  If so, ribs are basically done.

If you get them over done, falling apart to much, try bumping the temp and somewhat dry them out.....little hard to explain til you've done it.

t    
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I've done st Louis ribs twice. Rub, 275 dome for 3-1/2 hours or so, sauce for the last 15 minutes. Never foiled or spritzed, but many do. I use a rib rack
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    @Cookinbob. ..I'll believe I'll troll you for that comment.

lols jk broski. .. :))
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Wow, that was easy. Thanks @henapple :-*
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

@Cookinbob. ..I'll believe I'll troll you for that comment.

lols jk broski. .. :))

Can you feel the love!
  • RRP said:
    I have tried many methods until I found the simple turbo rib method around 330 to 350 indirect with PS legs pointed up. No foil. First hour bone side down, flip for another hour. At that point test for doneness and sauce if you wish. It's really foolproof. This is not a good picture but they were delicious!
    +1 They seem to always turn out single bite through tender for me. Remember to remove the membrane.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    henapple said:
    350 degrees for about one and a half hours. Then wrap and Add brown sugar or honey or butter and cook for about one hour. Pull off and sauce or not and finish all to the tenderness you desire. It will be delicious.
    That'll do it.  They come out of the foil so "fall off the bone", if you do full slabs, they'll probably break up if you're not really careful when you pull them out of the foil.  I like to put a little apple cider in the foil.  This is basically my method for baby backs.  Same recipe works for beef back ribs too though...so I doubt St. Louis would really take any more time.
  • henapple
    Just watch your temp while foiled or they will fall apart as @njl said. I've started cutting back on my foil time. Don't be afraid to take a rack off and open the foil to inspect.