Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Any salvage recipe for a less than stellar brisket?

FearlessTheEggNoobFearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 480
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
I tried to work some magic on a select grade flat and it ended up drying out and the slices barely hold together if at all. Since then I discovered Costco sells choice and prime grade for a very attractive price so my "select" days are now over.

Anyways, I have several frozen servings of vac packed brisket that taste and look very much like slow-cooker potroast after they come out of the sous vide. I was wondering if the more creative out there might have some recipe ideas. Maybe something like a Shepard's Pie or what not. I'm already bored of chopped beef sandwiches.

·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,815
    maybe use it in chili or maybe enchiladas, brunswick stew
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,462
    You could make Cowlick chili with it.  Should be awesome.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    I just made Cowlick Chili with my leftover brisket. It was great! I subbed 2lbs of brisket in place of the ground beef.
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • White beans and brisket. You will get the flavor of tb e brisket and the beans wil give it moisture.
    ·
  • Put it on homemade pizza.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • Melt up a bunch of velveeta,toss in the brisket, jalapeños, and voila, queso con carne.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    Food processor, warm in au jus, mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheese on toasted hoagies. Salvaged or not....great sandwich.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Those are all great ideas! Thank you.

·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,302
    nachos with bbq sauce on home made (warmed commercial home style) potato chips 

chopped brisket sandwiches. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,064
    I saw on some forum (it may have been this one) of a burger made with 100% bacon.  I like bacon, but that sounds gross to me.  However, thinking about it, putting about 2/3 dried-out brisket and 1/3 raw bacon through a grinder, and then making burgers with the result, sounds interesting to me.
    I'll definitely be trying it the next time I overcook a brisket (which does happen here and there…) 
    ;)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    edited December 2013
    OT but thought you may like this. Inside leather was very cool. image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,300
    Maybe just feed it to the dog and start over?
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,258
    2 cups of beef broth. Some potatoes, carrots,celery,onions, a little worschister little salt and pepper. Throe it all in the crock pot and 6-8 hours later a fantastic stew. He'll throw anything in it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • njlnjl Posts: 804
    Why not just chop up and reheat with some BBQ sauce and turn it into "pulled" beef sandwiches?
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,236
    I have had a couple of dry ones. Last time I poured four Fireman Reds in a pan with the dry brisket, sealed with foil and went for an hour or two back on the Egg. No bark but turned out moist and tender.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·

• Maybe just feed it to the dog and start over?
    No way I'm giving that dog 4lbs of brisket. He has enough nasty farts as it is.

·