Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Shoulder Butt, to rest or not to rest?

itsmceitsmce Posts: 124

Did my first nearly-successful pork shoulder butt yesterday for pulled pork. 6.5 pounds. 10 hours. Was shooting for 275-300, but had about a 3 hours stretch in the middle of the cook when the temp was closer to 250. Due to timing issues with dinner and evening activities, I had to pull it off the BGE when the internal temp was only 181. Again, due to timing issues, we had to eat right away, so I pulled enough of the thing to make our sandwiches. There was nothing but praise from my family.

Question #1: In a perfect world, what temp should I have been shooting for?  I've seen 190, I've seen 200. What's the consensus?

Question #2: How important is the resting period for such a cook? For other less-cooked meats I know it is important for the retention of juices.  Would a resting period have helped this maybe undercooked hunk-o-pork become more tender? (The bone did not slip right out...had to work at it a bit to get it out.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments