Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Porkbutt help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a couple of those Costco boneless people have been talking about and plan to cook them Friday night. I am planning to inject with 7 parts apple juice, 1 part apple cider vinegar and some DP tsunami or regular. I am planning to rub tonight with DP TS.[p]Here's the question. Being that there is no bone in the butt, what if I put an apple in the butt? This is starting to sound like Eddie Murphey routine. With the apple in the butt I would tie it up tight with string and cook overnight. Do you suppose this would compensate for the lack of a bone or would the apple just become a mushy mess in the butt?[p]Thanks![p]Ed

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    I do not think putting an apple in there will do much good. I think after 18 or so hours you would have something close to pork flavored apple sauce. That is my opinion at least....[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • ttbq
    ttbq Posts: 39
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    I just cooked two of these last weekend - just put some DP rub on, and cooked them at about 250 for about 16 hours, they turned out great! Not sure about the apple, but if you try it let us know - maybe do one with and one without?[p]ttbq

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Ed in TX,[p]I just wrap them up as best I can and tie them. I stopped buying butts at Coscto because they are boneless. I prefer bone in, so Sam's Club is the place for butts. Picked up 4 today for smoking for my daughter's rowing club regatta this weekend. Pulled Porks sandwiches at the concession stand are always a hit.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]We're still rolling over "Honey..check the butt." It's become a standard phrase around here. AShark will wake up in the middle of the night and whisper "honey, check the butt." I slug him, we have some tea, and go back to sleep. Ahhh, married life.[p]mShark
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]As Bad Byron says "A little Butt Rub makes everything better"[p]I gotta get the T-Shirt.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    I have cooked several of the Costco boneless butts; I have never noticed a big difference in moisture or flavor. I have never bothered tying them up either. I don’t have a Sams club nearby, and my local grocer/butcher charges almost $4.00 a pound for a Butt, where Costco is only about $1.40. I guess I would have to do 2 side by side to see if I could notice a difference…

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Squeeze,
    LOL
    While I do agree with you I will also admit that any time I have pork of any kind I want apple sauce on the side with cinnamon. It's just the way I was raised.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Any rule of thumb for cooking time doing a boneless?