Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Trucks

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    been driving my dodge dakota now for 25 years, would buy another dodge in a heartbeat, especially the high horsepower v6 with the goood gas mileage. the chevys self destruct in the salt and snow, have seen the front ends so rotted on vehicles 2 to 3 years old used for plowing that i would never buy them. ford makes a nice truck but ive never been happy with the four wheeling ability or the fact that you need a 4 lane highway to do a u turn in one. evry ford owner i know that bought a new truck rescently bought a toyota. the toyota frames rot out in the north but toyota covers it and puts in a new one, even if its ten years down the road that the problem develops. my dads tundra and my uncles tacoma both got new frames this year. i would be torn choosing between a 3/4 ton dodge or a toyota fj with 4x4
    From what i understand this is the last year for the Fj.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@Eggcelsior I really like the look of the front end of that one. Very old school.

@fishlessman I'm aware of the Brute kit (or whatever Mopar's version of it is called). I used to spend way too much time on Jeep and offroad forums (and way too much money on my Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket). I recall a thread on one of them where a guy did a step by step, very detailed and full of pictures on the conversion he did in his garage. Way too much work and way beyond my skill set for sure. But it came out pretty cool.

@Mickey I don't think Toyota should have ever resurrected the FJ40 name and slapped it on that thing. They should have come up with a new name and showed the FJ name some respect. Not saying its a bad SUV. Honestly have no idea, but its not FJ in my book.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    Ones an FJ, ones not an FJ.image

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The Fj is not an FJ40. Sold lots of them late 60's and till mid 80's. Fj is good but not like the org…..
    Now the new Fj rides better and has more power. Last dealer meeting was told Fj's last production year is on us. If Toyota had listened to dealers they would have added about 8 inches and made a real rear door and seat. That would have sold the hell out of them. Just a smaller 4Runner like of old. My years with Toyota (45) everything is getting so much bigger and seems customer would like the smaller size.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    Mickey said:
    been driving my dodge dakota now for 25 years, would buy another dodge in a heartbeat, especially the high horsepower v6 with the goood gas mileage. the chevys self destruct in the salt and snow, have seen the front ends so rotted on vehicles 2 to 3 years old used for plowing that i would never buy them. ford makes a nice truck but ive never been happy with the four wheeling ability or the fact that you need a 4 lane highway to do a u turn in one. evry ford owner i know that bought a new truck rescently bought a toyota. the toyota frames rot out in the north but toyota covers it and puts in a new one, even if its ten years down the road that the problem develops. my dads tundra and my uncles tacoma both got new frames this year. i would be torn choosing between a 3/4 ton dodge or a toyota fj with 4x4
    From what i understand this is the last year for the Fj.

thats about right, its pretty much the only truck that is small enough to drive around here and park with the tow capacity i need, cant tow anything with the jeeps :)) i would be looking at a second hand one from some rich woman that doest drive when it rains anyways :D my 89 dodge just needs a windsheild and an emergency cable to pass the safety inspection, then im good for another year :)>-
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @Mickey it is the last year for the FJ.  And @griffin maybe the current FJ is not a FJ40, but it has chops.  I remember watching them race the Baja 1000 race in Mexico, with some upgrades, they are solid 4x4 vehicles.  

And the little 6 under the hood has some torque and power.  

BTW, I grew up in Richardson, went to Pearce.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    Seems many like the Tundra / Ford pickups. I like what they did with the full change out this year (2014) to the Tundra. It went from looking like a Dodge to the Ford look. It has to look like something…...

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Really depends on what you are doing with the truck.  Personally I've had good luck with Toyota's and have owned 3 of them.  First was a 1990 extended cab, 2wd, automatic.  Put about 180k miles on it and ended up donating it in 2003/04 as the transmission was going out on it.  The issue was with a quick lube type place that didn't put the drain back in properly, not a Toyota issue. 

Second was a 1998 Tacoma extended cab, 4x4, V6.  I put 232k miles on it and only sold it because of a growing family and hard to put a car seat in the cab.  Replaced the clutch around 150k miles, water pump as well, but nothing major.  Wasn't leaking or using oil, it would just go.  Held it's value incredibly well too.  Put it on Craigslist to sell, in the first 2 hours had 7 people respond (only one was a spammer).  Sold it to the first guy that emailed me.  Probably should have held out and made a bit more money on it.

Third is a 2010 Tacoma, 4x4, Double cab long bed.  Have 45k miles on it so far, just replaced the tires.  Had a couple of issues, the radio volume controls stopped working, it was a bad batch of radios and was replaced under warranty.  Also a light for the ac/heater knob went out.  No biggie and easily replaced.

Not an off roader, but do use the truck for weekend projects and no hauling.  Wife is talking about getting a camper, and depending on size may need to get a bigger truck.  When the time comes in another 10 years, will probably buy another Toyota.  Tundra maybe for the room/towing.  Would consider a Ford though.

On a side note, did like the Honda Ridgeline.  Price wise, better than the Tacoma, but it only had a 5' bed and I didn't fit well in it (I'm 6'6'').  My knees just about touched the dash even with the seat all the way back and I felt too upright while driving it.  Might have ended up with it instead of the Tacoma if the fit would have been better.  Glad I didn't though.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Griffin

They need another Forward Control too.

If you like the J12 front, you'll love  the back...

They need to make these, or at least another Wagoneer.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I am looking to buy used.  I am really between the Tundra and the F-150.  My budget is not big.  We are actually trying to buy two cars at once.  SWMBO wants another landcruiser and I want a truck.  Right now, she drives an 03 Landcruiser and I drive an 88 FJ-62.  I am going to keep the fj62, but i want to trade in the 03 Landcruiser.  The F-150 seems to better fit my budget.  I really like the Tundra, but it has to be the '07 body style.  It has to be 4x4.  I would prefer a v8.  Leather seats.  I really like the King Ranch that ford puts out.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Griffin
    Options
    Now you are talking. I'd imagine the pucker factor would be pretty high on a steep hill side decent with one of those Forward Control Cabs. No hood, just looking straight down. Hell yeah!

Rowlett, Texas

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    06 Chevy 2500HD LT3 4x4 with 3 1/2" dual exhaust, K&N cold air intake, rhino liner, full step bars, and every bell and whistle I can think of. This bad boy will pull the house down. Love my truck.***Hard to find but old Jeep Scrambler is a nice ride with no frills. I owned a Jeep Wrangler for 15yrs before the truck and it was a rough ride with no AC but was a fun toy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @tjv... Generally speaking,  I consider the ford line up as weekend warrior trucks and the chevy line up as work trucks.    Maybe cause ford puts a little more effort into the interior and most of the guys I see who make a living out of a truck drive chevy.  

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I travel all over and most work trucks I see are f-250/350. I drive a 2011 f-250 but miss my dually. If I didn't tow I'd have the ecoboost 150. I like the interior of the Dodge. ..they utilize every nook and cranny for storage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Tundra is just a longer lasting, better performing, easier driving truck! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • gabriegger
    Options
    3 ranchers riding along, sitting on the bench seat of a pickup. Which one is the smartest?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    In case it matters, the 2014 Toyota Tundra is now the "most American" truck, just edging the former #1, Ford F-series. They were virtually tied for 2013.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options

My 2005 D2500 has been great. The Cummins churns out power with 20+mpg in town and on the highway. Mileage drops when pulling 7K pounds at speed on the Interstate.
    Not an off-roader except when needed. The last time in FWD, I dropped it in low, hooked upo the chain and walked a Kubota tractor out of the marsh. No problem. When pulling against other trucks, it has the same problem with street tires digging in when in sand and connected to an immovable object. We had two different 2500s trying to pull a sunken shrimp out from under a dock on a falling tide. Little maintenance has been needed. Ten thousand mile oil changes, a new air filter now and then and fuel filters.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Loosemoose
    Options
    henapple said:

@tjv... Generally speaking,  I consider the ford line up as weekend warrior trucks and the chevy line up as work trucks.    Maybe cause ford puts a little more effort into the interior and most of the guys I see who make a living out of a truck drive chevy.  

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I travel all over and most work trucks I see are f-250/350. I drive a 2011 f-250 but miss my dually. If I didn't tow I'd have the ecoboost 150. I like the interior of the Dodge. ..they utilize every nook and cranny for storage.

Agreed, I have been working out of ford trucks for over 20 years and it seems around here ford work trucks out number GM by at least 2 to 1.

I drive a 2011 F-150 Lariot Supercrew and its the nicest truck I have ever drove. I pulled a 28' enclosed trailer to the drag strip every weekend the last year we raced and it did fine.
    My buddy was going to buy the trailer from me but his GMC wandered so bad with the load he bought a smaller trailer.
    FORD!! BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS!

Nowhere Indiana
  • Little Steven
    Options
    We used to run all fords but you could set your watch to the warranty running out and then the transmission would calf. Had good success with GM since we switched.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    edited December 2013
    Options
    We used to run all fords but you could set your watch to the warranty running out and then the transmission would calf. Had good success with GM since we switched.
    my experience with the two are that the fords break down, transmissions, alternaters, starters etc but the trucks are heavier built. with the chevys/gmc the trucks arent built as strong, lug nuts fall/bust off, axles fall out, frames rust away too quickly, especially if they are used as plow trucks or carry any weight. my last ford was an 85 f150, before it hit 60000 miles i replaced 2 clutches, manual tranmission, starter, distributor, water pump, front left axle and bearing from the front wheel falling off on the highway, three on the tree stick shift fell out in my hand one day :)) then in 89 i bought my dodge, i like my 89 dodge
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    F-150 Ecoboost has awesome acceleration for a daily driver truck.  I really like that engine.  The GMC, Toyota, and Ford V8's (minus the Raptor) felt so sluggish off the line after driving the ecoboost.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • JGoodson
    Options
    Look hard at a Ford truck over the Toyota. The difference in years of technology and design is far greater for the Ford. The Tundras are nice for sure but who wouldn't want the most dependable full size on the planet.

I admit. I am a little biased. Here's my pickup. The room in the back seat is like riding in a limo!

F150.jpg 157.1K
    McDonough,Ga   Large & Small BGE  Dawgs, Falcons and Bravos!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    F-150 Ecoboost has awesome acceleration for a daily driver truck.  I really like that engine.  The GMC, Toyota, and Ford V8's (minus the Raptor) felt so sluggish off the line after driving the ecoboost.
    Curious....on the Toyota, was the V8 you drove the 5.7 or 4.6?  I like Fords also and hear good things about the Ecoboost (though haven't driven one), but the Tundra 5.7 iForce is a beast.  Easily the fastest truck off the line I've ever owned.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Ecoboost is insane. I don't have a truck but I tested it out on a Flex. 0-60 in around 6 seconds with a 3 ton vehicle.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I got a buddy who just bought a new Ford with EcoBoost and he just grins from ear to ear every time he talks about how it'll throw him back in the seat! Must really be a sleeper!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I got a buddy who just bought a new Ford with EcoBoost and he just grins from ear to ear every time he talks about how it'll throw him back in the seat! Must really be a sleeper!
    Well, Cal Naugthon, Jr. ought to know. 
    :D

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Well, Cal Naugthon, Jr. ought to know. 
    :D

The Magic Man!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oh yeah...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Shake n Bake! =))
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Dave in Florida
    Options

I have had Toyotas, Fords, Dodge and now a GMC.  Love my 2001 GMC 2500 HD.  Wife says I can have a new truck when I can go 6 months without someone saying "nice truck!"  Guess I'll just keep driving this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!