Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's see your bird

13»

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine looked awesome, but was dry and uneven cooked.
    Everyone still happy that's the way it goes.
    Seattle, WA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Talking about even cooking... anyone use the oval stone from CGS for there turkey ?

Someone suggested to place the oval stone sideways on the egg so the back of the eggs higher heat can be used to cook the legs and thighs faster. Im guessing most use a platesetter?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2013

Talking about even cooking... anyone use the oval stone from CGS for there turkey ?

Someone suggested to place the oval stone sideways on the egg so the back of the eggs higher heat can be used to cook the legs and thighs faster. Im guessing most use a platesetter?
    I used the Oval Stone, but it ran the same direction as my roasting pan. When I pulled my turkey...my breast was at 160 and my legs were at 180.

I iced my breasts for 20 min...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    cazzy said:

I used the Oval Stone, but it ran the same direction as my roasting pan. When I pulled my tuekey...my breast was at 160 and my legs where at 180. I iced my breasts for 20 min...

boom. how was the skin? did it crisp up for you? and did yod do the SV breast you were talking abut? curious how that may have turned out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    edited November 2013

cazzy said:

I used the Oval Stone, but it ran the same direction as my roasting pan. When I pulled my tuekey...my breast was at 160 and my legs where at 180.

I iced my breasts for 20 min...

boom. how was the skin? did it crisp up for you? and did yod do the SV breast you were talking abut? curious how that may have turned out.

Skin was crispy!! Brushed with butter at 1.5 hours, 2.5, and 3.5.

Yep, sous vide two breasts. Only finished one as only 2 people showed up for the best food anyone was serving in San Antonio. I picked up a 11 pound turkey and butchered it. I had a lil loose cutlets under the breasts from a lil bit of sloppy knife work. Lol So I sprinkled a lil meat glue (Thanks) and vacuum sealed it

I finished the breast on a cast Iron pan with butter. Hard sear on each side. It was the flipping tits man. Even without brining, it was melting in my mouth. Much thanks to you and Nola for your tips and talking me into doing a sous vide breast too.
  • cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I used the Oval Stone, but it ran the same direction as my roasting pan. When I pulled my tuekey...my breast was at 160 and my legs where at 180. I iced my breasts for 20 min...

Skin was crispy!! Brushed with butter at 1.5 hours, 2.5, and 3.5. Yep, sous vide two breasts. Only finished one as only 2 people showed up for the best food anyone was serving in San Antonio. I picked up a 11 pound turkey and butchered it. I had a lil loose cutlets under the breasts from a lil bit of sloppy knife work. Lol So I sprinkled a lil meat glue (Thanks) and vacuum sealed it I finished the breast on a cast Iron pan with butter. Hard sear on each side. It was the flipping tits man. Even without brining, it was melting in my mouth. Much thanks to you and Nola for your tips and talking me into doing a sous vide breast too.

so the breast was the tits? :)). Glad you liked it. Poultry and SV = money
  • love the meat glue fix too! You are wise, young Jedi
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

Skin was crispy!! Brushed with butter at 1.5 hours, 2.5, and 3.5. Yep, sous vide two breasts. Only finished one as only 2 people showed up for the best food anyone was serving in San Antonio. I picked up a 11 pound turkey and butchered it. I had a lil loose cutlets under the breasts from a lil bit of sloppy knife work. Lol So I sprinkled a lil meat glue (Thanks) and vacuum sealed it I finished the breast on a cast Iron pan with butter. Hard sear on each side. It was the flipping tits man. Even without brining, it was melting in my mouth. Much thanks to you and Nola for your tips and talking me into doing a sous vide breast too.

Lol, didn't even think about that!  Niiiice.  

love the meat glue fix too! You are wise, young Jedi
    That stuff is pretty freaking cool Obi-Wan!!!
  • I just bought an egg and cooked turkey for the first time. It was absolutely awesome. Kudos to the egg and Digiq2. I was so happy that I didn't have to apologize to everyone for how it turned out. I wish I had taken a photo, but that bird disappeared.
  • cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

Lol, didn't even think about that!  Niiiice.  

love the meat glue fix too! You are wise, young Jedi
    That stuff is pretty freaking cool Obi-Wan!!!

try it for some bacon or prosciutto wrapped chicken or pork tenderloin. you can do some fun stuff with it. great for repairs too as you saw tonight.
  • Here is my bird on video. Shot with Canon 5D MKIII and 7D and a motorized slider. The Big Green Egg is center stage for this performance.
    Uncle Phil
    Here is the link to the Vid:

• Two 16.5 pounders to feed a crowd of 28. Rave reviews.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Spatchcock with coffee rub turned out most excellent, with VERY little effort.  Almost 15 lbs and only took 1 hour 50 minutes on the raised grill at 375.  Had to pull thighs/drumsticks at 1:20.  Diners rated it A+.  Happy Thanksgiving all!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • A little less than an hour in. Cherry wood for smoke & awesome color.image

I incinerated mine and been over serving myself ever since. No embarassing pix. Hopefully the dome thermo is off. Otherwise its me thats off.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Some great lookin birds here!  Freezing my nipples off in MI,  turkey time later today. 

@cazzy -  the SV breast needs its own thread! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    caliking said:
    Some great lookin birds here!  Freezing my nipples off in MI,  turkey time later today. 

@cazzy -  the SV breast needs its own thread! 
    I would but I didn't take any pics as I was beat after I plated everything up.  2 proteins, 5 sides, and gravy all by myself.  I just wanted to eat and enjoy the food.  I impressed myself though as I knocked it out of the freaking park...especially the timing.  I think I enjoyed my food more than anything I've been served before.  I would have been happy to serve my late mother that meal...who was very picky and a bomb ass cook!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Followed the Amazing Ribs recipe. Doing the broth in the pan below the bird is a winning idea. I did have to add water a few times through the cook. 21 pounder 3.5 hours at 325 dome with pecan and apple wood (Just a few chunks). Rave reviews from the folks. The first time I ever got a compliment on the gravy.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Here's mine at the finish.  About 3 hours and 15 minutes.  Great drippings ( I put the rest of the wine in the pan while still roasting) and total success on the Mad Max gravy.  Dogs were sad to be banished to the basement while I carved,
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My turkey was a ham....

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

And a fine ham it is.

Pork is good.

What temp, time and pounds?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • this is my Turkey I rubbed it with Mickey's coffee rub then cooked indirect at 350 degrees plate setter in legs with the pan on the plate setter on top of the BGE ceramic feetimage
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Here is a picture of our turkey. It was the best turkey I have ever had, no brine, no smoke, no ice prior to cooking, just injection and dizzy pig's shakin' the tree rub. I set the digiQ for 180 and used the thermapen to check once it started beeping. 180° in the thigh and 159-160° in the breast. It was a 14 pound bird and took a little under 2 1/2 hours. FTC'd for a little over an hour (which might be a secret for moist turkey, as the past two years have only gotten better) It was by far the juiciest turkey I have ever had. 

Only a few more degrees to go! 
    I hope everyone enjoyed time with friends and family, and had a great meal. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Hotch said:

And a fine ham it is.

Pork is good.

What temp, time and pounds?

Thanks Hotch, it was 7.5 pounds. I went 350 indirect until it hit 140IT. It took roughly 3 hours. I normally do bone in shank hams and do them naked. This one was MUCH better. It was boneless and I started glazing after about 1.5 hours. Glazed every 30 minutes or so. FTC for about an hour because everything else wasn't quite ready. This ham was great. I plan to do another one for Christmas.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Smoked a 13 lb'er today over hickory chunks for serving cold on Saturday at our open house.

• So, I might have gone a little overboard on the Rosemary but for a first attempt it turned out pretty awesome. Can't wait to do it again!

Cheers!
    trky.jpg 690.7K
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Very attractive but not much meat!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    imageimage
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Johnny Cash showed everyone his bird in 1969 at San Quentin.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009