Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This cold snap is killing me

13»

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Seanr7 said:
    Not with wind chill's below zero Fahrenheit I'm out.
    I grilled burgers Tuesday night at +2F and below zero wind chills.  It was a balmy +20F here tonight so I grilled a couple of duck breasts after shoveling off the deck.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Last day of snow clearing, have a good foot to do again over the last daay or so, 500 foot driveway doesn't make it fun. Need to get to it as we went from -29C (-20F) yesterday to warm temps today and are expecting freezing rain today. Another joy! And what to egg tonight? Steaks maybe? Good luck to everyone out there this weekend.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Where my egg? This sucks. I hate hate hate the cold and snow. Hopefully not to much mold or whatever in the spring.

Garnerville, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited December 2013
    robnybbq said:
    Where my egg? This sucks. I hate hate hate the cold and snow. Hopefully not to much mold or whatever in the spring.
    c'mon Rob, fire him up, btw, the poor dwarfs need to see some daylight too  :D  but don't hurt them when you shovel.
    canuckland
  • robnybbq said:

I agree, I've shoveled a path to the driveway, the hot tub and the egg. I'm headed to Costco in just a few and I'm bringing back a hunk of some kind of meat for tonight's cook.
    Old man winter is not going to keep me from egging on the weekends anyways.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • robnybbq
    Just too cold and I hate he cold worse every year. Working on learning to cook indoors for the winter. I may use it here and there over the winter but it has to be with the cook. Not standing out there for a burger, chicken or steak.

Maybe a roast is some sort in a few weeks but don't know. Got to be something good.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Just "plug-and-play" with spatchcock chix or turkey, any pork butt cook, brisket, chuck roast, country ribs, pork or beef ribs and many more that don't require the cook's constant attention.  Besides a good level of adult anti-freeze will lessen the temperature shock.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited December 2013
    Stopped snowing this morning, got 25 cm from the snow that started yesterday. 
    Much milder than yesterday, cooked tandoori chicken and naan, also got a chance to update my avatar, XL lost a chunk :D
    canuckland
  • robnybbq
    Yeah one day when I clean it out.  Plug and play has not been working for me lately.  Lots of fiddling to get it locked down on a temp.  I do clean the ashes out from the bottom but I may need to do a good cleaning and clean burn as its frozen shut and lots of moisture in the dome and where the gasket would be.

I need a motivational cook to get back into it this winter.  I used it allot last winter just not feeling it this year. 

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks like its supposed to warm up a bit toward the end of the week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    edited December 2013
    If it gets warm enough and I find time them maybe.  I doubt it though with the kids sports all weekend that I would get a few hours to cook something.  Eating out has been bad and my low carb diet has gone to crap. 

I want cook cook something but not BBQ if that makes sense.  A new meat cook would be good if I get the chance.  Do not want ribs, spatchcock chicken, or pork butts (I have a few bags of pulled pork in the freezer still).  I need something really good.  tried potroast once  - not repeating as it was horrendous.  I'll have to find something different.

Garnerville, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Well I have all these new seasonings thanks to the exchange, I will be cooking right through the winter.  However I will not cook things like Paella that require me to stand over the grill for a period of time.  Roasts, soups, ribs, pulled pork, and whole birds are all on the list.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Canugghead

That is an obscene picture. This morning is low 40's and I had to wear a jacket while starting the fire.

My wife is concerned we will not be able to use her sidecar to get the Christmas tree today. High predicted is 67. We once lived in Tennessee mountains and have seen snow. I grew up in Atlanta and still remember ice storms. Snow and freezing rain fall during the day and then with traffic and near freezing temperatures it turns to slush. A hard overnight freeze and a major metropolitan area is a big sheet of ice. No thanks-we got out and have no desire to return.
    Temps for the weekend are predicted to return to the 70's and unless we have another gale blowing, it should be pleasant.
    Our white Christmas will hopefully be beach sand.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Cold is taking a break. I'm EGGing tonight for the first time in almost three weeks.
    XL BGE
  • My egg was frozen shut. Do u need to clean it to get the mold out and if so what do I use to clean it. I've only had my XL baby green for 6 months. Please help
  • I don't think that you need to clean you egg but if so you have to do a clean burn what that in tales is load it up with lump light it and leave the top off and open the bottom vent wide open remove the thermometer and let it rip until it burns out after it cools now take a ball of tim foil and rub the inside of the egg .As far as preventing you egg from freezing shut  put tin foil between the dome and base thats all you need to do 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I don't think that you need to clean you egg but if so you have to do a clean burn what that in tales is load it up with lump light it and leave the top off and open the bottom vent wide open remove the thermometer and let it rip until it burns out after it cools now take a ball of tim foil and rub the inside of the egg .As far as preventing you egg from freezing shut  put tin foil between the dome and base thats all you need to do 
    @tnacole, what charles said.

High heat burn, then scrape with AF(the AF is not necessary)
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Just suck it up and Egg On!

Isn't there a old drill sargent on the forum who could just may be some how uplift people?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Move to Florida.

• robnybbq
    demo said:
    Move to Florida.

I would tomorrow if I could.  Work is here so not moving yet.

Garnerville, NY
  • demo said:

Move to Florida.

I would not make half the $ in Florida that I do here in Indiana.
    Florida is for when and if I'm lucky enough to retire… and then it will be Texas.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I-35 South is open, come on down.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX