Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing rib roast

Options
Tonight's dinner, just something I threw together from things I found around the house - bell peppers, onions, beef stock, butter, garlic, salt, oregano, basil, a few sprigs of rosemary. Oh yeah, and a standing rib roast. You know, just laying around the house stuff. ;)

Here's the roast before going on the Egg:

Coming along. This is after 45 minutes at 400. Time to lower the temp to 325 and cook it for another 2 hours or so:

I'l update in a couple hours when it's done.

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Man, wish I had a standing rib roast laying around my house.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Me too! Looking good.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I might be fibbing a little about having a standing rib roast just laying around. :)

Here's it finished on the grill - you can hardly read it but the thermapen says 134...so I overshot it by 4 degrees.  Live and learn - it was a smallish 2 rib rib roast so it cooked pretty quick:

And here it is on the counter before being put in foil and rested for 15 minuets:

After resting:

After removing the ribs (for carnivorous goodness later) and slicing the end:

And finally plated:

If you've been considering a standing rib roast on the Egg I highly recommend giving it a go.  It was delicious and the smoke definitely added to the flavor of the roast.  While I still like oven-roasted roasts, I can now say I prefer the Egg as a roasting machine!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Next time, reverse sear. Medium rare throughout, especially the spinalis muscle.
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - I need to give reverse sear another shot.  The only time I tried it was on pork chops and I ended up searing too long and shot way past the 145 for the chops (which happens very quickly at those high heats).  I guess a big ol' roast will be less likely to shoot way past the target temp so it probably is a good way to try reverse sear.  Of course with a  $60 rib roast I have a hard time bringing myself to trying something new. :)
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I wish my wife liked medium rare meat. I'd cook more of these larger standing or ribeye roast items.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • BobsBGE
    Options
    I wish my wife liked medium rare meat. I'd cook more of these larger standing or ribeye roast items.
    I have the same problem.  My wife won't eat anything unless it's cooked past well done.  I guess I could slice off a piece and put it back on the egg for an extra hour or so.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I always cook a standing rib raised grate, 300, direct, to 115-118. Let the roast rest while preparing rest of the meal. Slice the cow and I will throw it back on the egg or in a cast iron skillet for anyone who wants more char and everyone is happy. I did this for 15 people last year and I have been elected to do it again this year. Once at my son's (13 people) and again at my daughters (15 people).
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Just a few quick questions GrannyX4. How much did the roast weigh? And how long did it cook? I know, cook to temp, but I'd like to have an idea for the way the the dinner is going to go. Thanks.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks beautiful.  I am sure those veggies were awesome with the beef juices.  

If you want to give the reverse sear a try- one tip is to make sure the meat rests a bit so the temp stops rising, then throw it on a hot grill or use cast iron.  It will only be on the grill a short time so it shouldn't raise the internal temp much.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.