Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

more lump on cold days?

Options
My last sholder went 26 hiurs...I ran out of lump around 23... Today I ran out at 15...do you find lump consumption goes up when the ambient temp drops?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    I have done scores of cold temp cooks and I haven't noticed the difference.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I sure haven't noticed any more consumption in cold weather.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks gents
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I imagine you might use a bit more, but not much, certainly less than 10%, assuming the temps are not like -40ºF. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited December 2013
    Options
    As @Skiddymarker notes, you will use more primarily in the extended time it takes to warm up the BGE and any cooking tools you load in it (platesetter, stone etc).  Beyond that you will continue to burn more because of the larger temperature difference between the BGE external surface and the surrounding air.  I have not run an eggsperiment to quantify but I do know my lump consumption goes up during cold weather cooks.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I cook all the time in the single digits and below and have not noticed any changes in lump consumption from summer months.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It goes up a bit in cold weather as the egg loses a little more heat to the outside world.  I notice my draft door setting will be slightly more open compared to a summer day.  But I would not expect that coals that last 23 hours would be reduced to 15 hrs unless you are talking about a sunny 95* day in the summer versus a 0* winter day or even more extreme.  Probably how the coals loaded or the BTU content of the coals are also contributing to the difference you observed.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • rsmith193
    Options
    I have done some competitions at 115º at sea level and some at 22º at 7800' and have noticed very little if any change in consumption. I know that at the colder comps my competors have used a lot more, but they were all the uneducated, non-egg users.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I can only say I have never run out of lump on a cook, hot or cold.  With that said, I have an XL and it holds a lot of lump.  If your Egg is small or medium, that might be the issue.  Otherwise, I would try to cook at a little higher temp to get done sooner.  Once you are up to temp, it does not take a lot to maintain it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks all...