Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to stop the wife from putting good knives in the dishwasher

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I take it it is best to get stainless knives as the carbon ones take a bit more care anyway. Dont need to see any rust spots down the line. Chefs to go seems to have a good price on that Shun Sora 8" Chef's knife  for 79.95. Figure I need maybe a bread knife and a pairing knife.
    You might also look at the Tojiro DP gyuto/paring set at CKTG. May not look quite as flashy as the Shun Sora, but a few buck cheaper for similar performance.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ok all great ideas. I like the burn her pork chop :) If I over overcook her steak she gets p#$$%d off big time . We have cheap knives so I guess I will tell her she needs to only use those and the others are two sharp for her to handle and she might cut her arm off. She has a small pairing knife that must be 30 years old. The blade is so worn down that it is curved on the cutting edge (if thats what you would call it) Beats me how most woman could care less about nice kitchen things like knives and pots and pans. I threatened once to replace our mix matched silverware,(where did that fork come from),with all plastic ones so she would not use it in a teflon coated frying pan to stir things up. One big thing she does is whip mashed potatoes with a hand blender,,and in a TEFLON POT !!!!
    Lose the nonstick cookware and get some claded stainless steel. No risk of ruining them by scratching.
    stainless does not clean up well plus it does not stay shiny for long. Already picked up a nice set of diswasher safe non stick calphalon at costco. I will keep the older non stck pots for her to use when she just has to use that mixer to whip of potatoes. she was the one that said she wanted new pots and pans for xmas,,,put then she called it a jimmy gift. A jimmy gift is something both of us will use. Guess I will run by Chateau Elan  on the way home from the Atlanta airport today and get her a certificate for a massage. I usually cant go wrong on that one.
    I look at this way. I also get new pots and pans. I can always hide the frying pans and let her use the old walmart scratched up ones :)
    My All Clad SS cleans up quite well and stays very shiny, in addition to being dishwasher-safe. Barkeepers Friend is your friend.If you're really worried about that with cookware, many brands offer a "brushed" line(usually the "pro" line) that do not show smudges or scratches.

I have this set:

It also comes like this:

They will be the last set of pans I will ever need, unless they are stolen or my house burns down. My parent's All Clad is nearly 20 years old and still going strong.

All that said, Calphalon is a very nice set, still Made in USA. Just don't discount SS offerings when you're replacing non-stick every 2-3 years(This is the average lifespan of a non-stick pan with normal use).
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    My missus couldn't boil water when we first met. Now she's a great cook and just as fussy about good knives.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• rsmith193
    Options
    Its easy to keep my wife from putting the my knives in the dishwasher. First I told her that if she wants to touch my knives she has to cook, (that stols most of the problem). Second I told her that if the knives go in the dishwasher, she will be in there right along side of the knives. =)) =))
  • Tailwind
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the earlier post... just ask her to hand wash the expensive knives. My wife was doing the same thing and that's all it took. She just didn't know any better at the time

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• 1cajuncook
    Options
    Leave the toilet seat up. Tit for tat.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    rel="Eggcelsior">

ok all great ideas. I like the burn her pork chop :) If I over overcook her steak she gets p#$$%d off big time . We have cheap knives so I guess I will tell her she needs to only use those and the others are two sharp for her to handle and she might cut her arm off. She has a small pairing knife that must be 30 years old. The blade is so worn down that it is curved on the cutting edge (if thats what you would call it) Beats me how most woman could care less about nice kitchen things like knives and pots and pans. I threatened once to replace our mix matched silverware,(where did that fork come from),with all plastic ones so she would not use it in a teflon coated frying pan to stir things up. One big thing she does is whip mashed potatoes with a hand blender,,and in a TEFLON POT !!!!

Lose the nonstick cookware and get some claded stainless steel. No risk of ruining them by scratching.

stainless does not clean up well plus it does not stay shiny for long. Already picked up a nice set of diswasher safe non stick calphalon at costco. I will keep the older non stck pots for her to use when she just has to use that mixer to whip of potatoes. she was the one that said she wanted new pots and pans for xmas,,,put then she called it a jimmy gift. A jimmy gift is something both of us will use. Guess I will run by Chateau Elan  on the way home from

My All Clad SS cleans up quite well and stays very shiny, in addition to being dishwasher-safe. Barkeepers Friend is your friend.If you're really worried about that with cookware, many brands offer a "brushed" line(usually the "pro" line) that do not show smudges or scratches.

I have this set:

It also comes like this:

They will be the last set of pans I will ever need, unless they are stolen or my house burns down. My parent's All Clad is nearly 20 years old and still going strong.

All that said, Calphalon is a very nice set, still Made in USA. Just don't discount SS offerings when you're replacing non-stick every 2-3 years(This is the average lifespan of a non-stick pan with normal use).

We have the same set of All Clad as stated above and it cleans up real nice. Almost effortlessly and my grand kids will be using this set someday.

Nowhere Indiana
  • Little Steven
    Options
    stainless does not clean up well plus it does not stay shiny for long. Already picked up a nice set of diswasher safe non stick calphalon at costco. I will keep the older non stck pots for her to use when she just has to use that mixer to whip of potatoes. she was the one that said she wanted new pots and pans for xmas,,,put then she called it a jimmy gift. A jimmy gift is something both of us will use. Guess I will run by Chateau Elan  on the way home from the Atlanta airport today and get her a certificate for a massage. I usually cant go wrong on that one.
    I look at this way. I also get new pots and pans. I can always hide the frying pans and let her use the old walmart scratched up ones :)

I have this set:

It also comes like this:

Do yours have the copper plate in the bottom?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Little_Steven, Mine are mostly D5, which is just Aluminum and steel layering. I also have some copper core, which is my favorite one overall. copper is the best for sauces.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a set of Falk copper. The frying and sauté pans are just too heavy. I'm thinking about getting an All Clad frying pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 30yearegger
    Options
    Tell her how much you paid for them if you can take the flak you'll get for awhile.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Eggcelsior
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I have a set of Falk copper. The frying and sauté pans are just too heavy. I'm thinking about getting an All Clad frying pan.
    Are there any outlets similar to Williams Sonoma outlet in Canada? I grabbed my Copper Core stuff for 40% off there. I have the 3qt Simmer/Saute pan. Amazing performance.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah there are some but that is something I would probably buy in the US.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

Love my all clad set! 

Please educate me.  Why no knives in the dishwasher?

• Loosemoose
    Options
    My All Clad are the D5 as well.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • mfdf5768
    Options
    I purchased a nice set of Shun Knives which I keep tucked away in a drawer that nobody else goes in.  I have to hide them or my husband will use them and then put them in the dishwasher he thinks I'm crazy for hand washing them
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited December 2013
    Options
    mfdf5768 said:
    I purchased a nice set of Shun Knives which I keep tucked away in a drawer that nobody else goes in.  I have to hide them or my husband will use them and then put them in the dishwasher he thinks I'm crazy for hand washing them
    I used to hide my good knifes before my wife and I had a "come to Jesus" talk and she leaves them alone. Besides I really have added to my collection and this ol' false bottom hiding place can't hold them all anymore.

Now you see them:

and now you don't
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    The false bottom is cool but the song too much time on my hands keeps going thru my head for some reason.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    The false bottom is cool but the song too much time on my hands keeps going thru my head for some reason.
    LOL - actually my wife had a long time phobia about someone breaking into our house and killing us with a large butcher knife so this was the first hurdle getting over that fear. OTOH we still have a nice set of CutCo knifes in a cool secret pull out tray in the pantry that took a lot more effort than the false bottom! Secret compartments et.al. have always fascinated me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Ok I went ahead and ordered my xmas presents. A shun sora  3.5 in pairing and the shun sora  8 in. chefs knife. Also the Tojiro ITK Bread knife 270mm. The finish on the shun was way to cool. I have a clever and several filet knives

So know I need a good  Sharpener, I  have an electric one with the wheels and a hand held one. Along with a steel. Not sure how good these are for these fine knives. What do you all use ?? and what is the best way for the serrated edges of the bread knife
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    That's cool RRP and I'm glad you have a good sence of humor.

Nowhere Indiana
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - actually my wife had a long time phobia about someone breaking into our house and killing us with a large butcher knife so this was the first hurdle getting over that fear. OTOH we still have a nice set of CutCo knifes in a cool secret pull out tray in the pantry that took a lot more effort than the false bottom! Secret compartments et.al. have always fascinated me.

Tell us about your bookcases, RRP!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Well...you could stab her. She won't put the knives in the dishwasher. Of course, you'd be in prison getting a stabbing of your own! =))
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ok I went ahead and ordered my xmas presents. A shun sora  3.5 in pairing and the shun sora  8 in. chefs knife. Also the Tojiro ITK Bread knife 270mm. The finish on the shun was way to cool. I have a clever and several filet knives

So know I need a good  Sharpener, I  have an electric one with the wheels and a hand held one. Along with a steel. Not sure how good these are for these fine knives. What do you all use ?? and what is the best way for the serrated edges of the bread knife
    Take a gander at:

http://sharpeningtechniques.blogspot.com/

and scroll down a bit to:

http://sharpeningtechniques.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-little-knife-sharpener-comparison.html

You'll notice the fellow is aimed at the very finest blade edge. And the finest care of the knife. 

He seems to be thrilled w. the Wicked Edge system. It does appear to be very good. I bought an Edge Pro a few years ago. I'm quite happy w. it, but did work on a dozen cheap knives to learn how to use it.

The serrated bread knife may be a pain to sharpen. Look at ceramic hones, or any other tool that can be pulled thru the serrations.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I guess I am lucky.  

Our good knives are Cutco, we have a set plus 8 of their steak knives.  My wife would never put any of them in the dishwasher!   When she mashes potatoes, she uses a big stainless pot - we do not have a teflon pot large enough for the amount of potatoes she mashes, but I don't think she would do it if we did.

For some reason, she just gets it.  Her parents sure did not train her this way.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    hapster said:
    Here is the set that I picked up a few years ago... love it

http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-contemporary-stainless-13-pc-cookware-set/470822
    How are you cleaning them that's easy when you have stuck on stuff? 
    See them in amazon for  $397.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @laserdoc85  OT, but noticed you are from Jefferson.  I am listening to Corey Smith right now.  Love his music.  Favorite Egging music.  Seen him twice in concert.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    hapster said:
    Here is the set that I picked up a few years ago... love it

http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-contemporary-stainless-13-pc-cookware-set/470822
    How are you cleaning them that's easy when you have stuck on stuff? 
    See them in amazon for  $397.
    I get the water running nice and hot, when the food comes out of the pan, into the water it goes to soak. By the time I'm done eating, everything comes right out with a scrubby pad sponge thing. Haven't yet had to us brillo or steel wool on them... Very easy to care for
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    saluki,,,you didnt go to SIU carbondale did you ?
    Jefferson .GA.